Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest panel mount SPST switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

Has anyone come across any really dinky SPST switches for mounting into a project box (this one will be wooden and about 5m thick, but that should be minor detail)?

The smallest I've come across so far is a circular rocker switch with no LED that fits into a 15.2mm hole.

I've seen rectangular ones that are slightly thinner, but a lot longer and ones with a LED indicator and not. I'm not bothered if it's a circular rocker, a rectangular rocker or a toggle or a latching push-button... but what I'm really wondering is whether there is a SPST switch out there that has a cut-out requirement that is less than 10mm in size. Oh, it should be available in black. ;)

Has anyone seen anything like this? All the switches that I seem to see are tagged 'miniature' but, in my mind, they are anything but.

use a toggle, bat handle switch, needs a 1/4" hole, good for 3 amps.
You haven't stated voltage or current. ask google!!

Ah, I see - the bat handle switch hole is so small 'cos only the metal pole goes through, so it just needs a bit of leeway, I suppose. They're still pretty large inside the housing, but that's of no real concern. I've been doing some Googling before starting the thread and I may be coming to the conclusion that what I really need to be searching for is "sub miniature"... who'd'a thought it? I can see some push button switches that seem to require a 6.2mm mounting hole, but they are momentary, just need to find the latching variant.

Volts and amps are pretty modest.... 5V and 1A, so I initially didn't think it worth mentioning, but I suppose some cannot handle that even.

These https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/T102SHZQE/CKN1549-ND are typical small toggle switches. They may miss your panel thickness requirement. You can get them with no threads and PCB mounted. You can always slightly mill the inside of the box to reduce the panel thickness.

Switches have AC and DC ratings, so it's important. There is also a rating for voltage and sometimes switching or non-switching. Lastly, there are switches rated for inductive loads.

Again, what you're pointing me to there is a "sub miniature" switch... it says so... it was that "sub" bit that I was missing in my searches. I'd been searching for "miniature" and was kinda surprised they were all so bloody big! Getting more good results now. Thanks! Again, it's one of those things where you know what you want but you don't know what it's called and searching for "small spst latching switch" and "miniature spst latching switch" was getting me not very far.

You may find more choice if you also search for SPDT (just ignore one terminal when wiring up).

You could also use 2 tactile switches,one for on, one for off, with an SCR & a FET or Transistor
Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back