Small Sorta Basic Circuit (diodes, capacitors, resistors, relays....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack501

Hi. Im building a circuit for my project at school. I'm only 17 and my lack of electronics knowledge probably shows lol. i had some basic electronics in AP physics and i took two electronic classes at the college this year and thats all i have. anyway, i have attached a copy of the what i have gotten so far. I am wanting to use a 9v battery to power a coil of a TPDT relay (not on the schematic that i attached but will be in parallel with everything else) but also in the circuit i want to have a bi-color 2-lead LED which is green when the switch is closed and when the switch is opened i want the capacitor to power the red for a short period of time. I have gotten it to do this in multisim with the design have however, as i said before, i know little about electronics. For one i wanna know if there is possibly a better way to accomplish this? and i also want to know if it would even work? I know the capacitor in the circuit is probably incorrect i just picked one to try and get it to do what i needed it to so i was wondering which to use. i also have two Schottky diodes in the circuit to stop the relays from just switching on and of instantaneously. i dont know anything about diodes really besides that they only let current travel in one direction but i dont know how they affect the circuit overall. will they work? and which should i use. I noticed in simulation with the addition of diodes the capacitor charged less rapidly but also caused it to discharge slower. I only want the red LED to stay on for like 10 seconds or so. And as far as amperes go. with the setup i have, the amps are very high at first, way to much for a 9v battery, and not that low after a period of time either. I assume the type of capacitor and diodes use affect this greatly and i know i could add some resistors to get the total resistance up and the total amps down (im not exactly sure where they would be placed lol but im sure i could figure it out) and one last thing, I dont want the capacitor to take an hour to charge enough to run the led for 10 secs. Ok i know this is a ton of information and i apologize lol but please help me if you can.

Attachments

• {F0B8791D-AC5C-4FB1-A348-64767386EF24}.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…