Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBowlingBen

Hello,

I am new to this forum community but I need your help.

We are starting on a new project to construct a two lane multifunctional mini bowling machine (small scale). The two machines will be controlled using a single microcontroller for the motors, switches and sensors, together with a small CPU built onto it to communicate with the microcontroller and a piece of scoring software. At some stage I will need a PCB designed and manufactered so these two components can fit together into one housing unit to form a computer for the two machines that I building.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what type of microcontroller will I need for the components to work, whether that is Arduino or Pi? Please specify the type/model I needed to get.

Also will I need some sort of 'Serial cable' if I wanted to have Arduino as my microcontroller to control the motors etc and a Raspberry Pi as the CPU (computer) to communicate with each other. Will this be possible?

I hope this is understanble, but if you wanted more info or further clarification, then please do not hesistate to contact me.

Best regards,
Ben

You need to figure out the mechanism, the motors and sensors needed to make this work before thinking about micros, circuit boards and "serial cables".

When the mechanism is designed, then you'll know what I/O you'll need.

Adding the complication of two processors is just that, an added complication. Any of the micros you've mentioned could handle the job as described, however, the description is rather vague.
As already mentioned, design your mechanism and then work out what processing power is needed.

Mike.

Hi For The Popcorn and Pommie,

Thank you for your responses. I am looking at doing a rough sketch of the idea along with a circuit design. I was thinking a bit too far ahead on the technical side as this is something I'd like to put together before I can start programming the actual thing.

Pommie, in your response about the complication of two processors, I am just going to start with one set for now and see how it goes. I'd think that by having two set of processors for two multifunctional bowling lanes would be complicated but this would be something I'd like to be aiming for in the future.

Hi For The Popcorn and Pommie,

Thank you for your responses. I am looking at doing a rough sketch of the idea along with a circuit design. I was thinking a bit too far ahead on the technical side as this is something I'd like to put together before I can start programming the actual thing.

Pommie, in your response about the complication of two processors, I am just going to start with one set for now and see how it goes. I'd think that by having two set of processors for two multifunctional bowling lanes would be complicated but this would be something I'd like to be aiming for in the future.
As already mentioned, a PIC or an Arduino would easily do what you've mentioned so far - but you've been pretty vague.

A PI 'might' be useful if you want a screen display for anything? - in which case you could just use a PI?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back