small battery => BIGGER BATTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

i've been messing around with those universal gate remotes - the ones with the binary counter and stuff, but the batteries kinda run out to fast
I unfortunately don't know too much about batteries, but my gut tells me to not plug in that Lith ion security batt sitting over there...
What is involved in plugging a bigger 12V battery into the 12V remote - won't it fry it??? Do i need to regulate it with something??? how do you regulate current??? Parallel resistors opposite of voltage divider i dunno

If the newer bigger battery is the same voltage as the older teeny-weeny one, there should be no problem.

JimB

are you serious - so the remote isn't going to be stupid and draw too many amperes or anything - that's a relief...

Clyd3 said:
are you serious - so the remote isn't going to be stupid and draw too many amperes or anything - that's a relief...

Just think about the battery in your car, that has to provide a couple of hundred amps to start the engine on a cold icy morning, yet also gives only a fraction of an amp to things like the radio and the interior light.

JimB

If you're really paranoid about short circuit then you could add a 100mA fuse or pollyswitch to the power input.

ok cool - i'm not paranoid - just not foolish - i'm not gonna go and break a remote just because i don't know enough
this is just the right place to clarify this type of thing, so thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…