Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small battery => BIGGER BATTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

i've been messing around with those universal gate remotes - the ones with the binary counter and stuff, but the batteries kinda run out to fast
I unfortunately don't know too much about batteries, but my gut tells me to not plug in that Lith ion security batt sitting over there...
What is involved in plugging a bigger 12V battery into the 12V remote - won't it fry it??? Do i need to regulate it with something??? how do you regulate current??? Parallel resistors :) opposite of voltage divider :) i dunno

If the newer bigger battery is the same voltage as the older teeny-weeny one, there should be no problem.

JimB

are you serious - so the remote isn't going to be stupid and draw too many amperes or anything - that's a relief...

Clyd3 said:
are you serious - so the remote isn't going to be stupid and draw too many amperes or anything - that's a relief...

Just think about the battery in your car, that has to provide a couple of hundred amps to start the engine on a cold icy morning, yet also gives only a fraction of an amp to things like the radio and the interior light.

JimB

If you're really paranoid about short circuit then you could add a 100mA fuse or pollyswitch to the power input.

ok cool - i'm not paranoid - just not foolish - i'm not gonna go and break a remote just because i don't know enough
this is just the right place to clarify this type of thing, so thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back