Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single touch, relay up/down

Status
Not open for further replies.

planty

What i am looking for is when you press a button a relay will (go up) work for xx seconds and when you press the same button again the relay will (go down) work for xx seconds,

The kit i am looking for is the exact same as a omega electric rear blind circuit, push the button the blind goes up and push it again the blind goes back down,
5 wires in total,
pos 12v
earth/ground
Button to ground,

and the other 2 wires would be the power which would get swaped for the motor going up and down.

I can take a pic of the circuit if need be, but i can only use the 555 chips as i have other kits which use them.
should be a easy kit but i have looked around but im struggling,
David

What i am looking for is when you press a button a relay will (go up) work for xx seconds and when you press the same button again the relay will (go down) work for xx seconds,

The kit i am looking for is the exact same as a omega electric rear blind circuit, push the button the blind goes up and push it again the blind goes back down,
5 wires in total,
pos 12v
earth/ground
Button to ground,

and the other 2 wires would be the power which would get swaped for the motor going up and down.

I can take a pic of the circuit if need be, but i can only use the 555 chips as i have other kits which use them.
should be a easy kit but i have looked around but im struggling,
David
Hi, David.
I think your output schem is very simply: motor controled with pair of micro switches with NO,C,NC pins without any active elements. Some of the pasive elements may be used.
Regards, Janis

Limit switches would be the best, but if you must use 555's for control:

"D - Flip-Flop Made With A LM556 Timer": **broken link removed**
This will give you the single pushbutton operation. And, outputs to a DPDT relay, or a 4-transistor H-bridge to drive your motor's direction.

"LM555 Monostable Oscillator Circuit Diagram"**broken link removed**
This can use the same pushbutton in the above circuit, and sets the run time. The output drives another relay or transistor that switches the power to the motor off after the delay.

With a timed circuit, without limit switches, the motor is going to stall and draw a lot of current for a period at the end of each run if you timing isn't exact and it runs long. And it likely will, because there is a lot of variables that change timing of 555s.

Ken

Last edited:
thanks for that, i will try it in my circuit program to see if i can make it,
Is there another way of making this kit without the 555 chip then?

What about connecting an electric window switch to it instead?

It means you'll have to hold finger while curtains completely close/open, but at at least you can have the curtains half open...

Last edited:
Thanks again,
but i only want there to be one switch - Just a push switch, just push it to open something and push the same switch again to close something, how does it know when to stop, 1, I could put it on a timer (pos a 555 chip) or 2 there is a very small capactior on the motor that is in front of me, does the kit detect a higher power drain or somthing and cut the power or is it timed out another way?
I would like to think this kit would also work for electric folding mirrors,

Thanks again,
but i only want there to be one switch - Just a push switch, just push it to open something and push the same switch again to close something, how does it know when to stop, 1, I could put it on a timer (pos a 555 chip) or 2 there is a very small capactior on the motor that is in front of me, does the kit detect a higher power drain or somthing and cut the power or is it timed out another way?
I would like to think this kit would also work for electric folding mirrors,

Yeah, but this is just one switch, you press it in a different place that's all! Just take your finger off when it's closed/open. :)

I know where you're coming from though. My car electric antenna has a circuit that's quite complicated. Has a timer, 2 relays I think, some cmos IC's.

The antenna goes up and down and the motor hits a stop. There's a timer that switches off the motor before it gets too hot.

Last edited:
If the motor doesn't mind hitting the stops for a a few seconds, you probably want a solution based on: CD4013, a 555, 2 DPCO relays. Maybe a mosFET instead of one relay.

are there any other kits as the pic c kit doesn't work that well, you have to keep your finger on the button,
I just need to push the button and the power goes one way and push the same button and the power goes the other way.
and in the LM555 pic where does the switch go (push switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back