Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

single phase, 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
yes, this might be possible.
There is a circuitry called 'Steinmetz Schaltung' (i don't know the english expression).
There is a capacitor added that causes the phaseshift needed to get the motor running.
BUT: The motor has less power and torque when driven this way. Assuming the manufacturer of Your machine has used smallest (=cheapest) motor possible, there may be not enough power left when driving it the 'Steinmetz'-way. This would cause overheating/destruction of Your motor.
If You're still interested I'll have a look in my archive for the schematic and a formula for the capacitance (don't know if it were 4µF/kW or 7µF/kW).
regards
joachim

If your stuff can be wired for 208 3 phase (as opposed to 480 3 phase) you can use a 'phase converter' or sometimes called a 'rotary phase converter' ..They are available at commercial /industrial supply houses, and typically cost about $150 and up depending on size. They are sized according to the load in hp. You must first look at the largest horsepower load you'll have connected to it and match that to what they have, typically 1-3hp , 3-5 hp etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back