Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single battery dead of 2 in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcell

Recently, my digital camera (2xAA Ni-MH) batteries have been dying much quicker than normal when the camera is sitting unused. Annoying, but I didn't think much of it.

I've had my house for about 5 years and didn't realize my thermostat even had batteries (2xAA) until they died recently. I popped them out and reached for my fully-charged batteries from my camera, only to discover they were dead (again!). Getting curious, I decided to check the batteries from the camera and the batteries from the thermostat with my DMM. In both cases one battery was completely dead and the other battery read 1200-1400.

Why would this happen? In both cases the batteries are connected in series.

I suppose the previous owner may have put mis-matched batteries in the thermostat, but they are visually identical.

In the case of the camera, I've been using the same pair of Ni-MHs together and charge them together.

how long did you use the batteries?

they do not last 1000 cycles, maybe 100 or 200,
since the flash is quite a current surge.

I'd just replace them with new batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back