Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Relay HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geis

Hello all! New to the forum and have a quick question.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to simple circuit layouts but here is my problem. I am setting up my wife's car to have daytime running LED's that turn off automatically when she turns on the headlights. These LEDs will be a totally different set of lights. I know that most DTL are a dimmer to the existing lights but we don't want that.

The picture shows what I am trying to get at. I believe I might have the connections to the relay mixed up.
Hope you all can help!
-Geis

**broken link removed**

Both circuits you posted have a direct short to ground! DO NOT USE!

First, you want to power the relay coil off the headlight wire: Lights off, relay off; light on relay on. Ground the other end of the relay coil (the unlabled pins on your relay picture).

Second, you want to find a spare circuit in the fuse panel which has 12V out of it only if the key-switch is in the run position.
Install the appropriate fuse for your LED lights, and hook that to terminal 5 of your relay. Hook terminal 1 to the + input of your LED lights with the - end grounded to airframe.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I said, I believe I have some connections mixed up. I need to know where to put what so it does work. Let me rework the layout to your idea and post another pic.

Last edited:
Here's the new layout. I understand that the "battery" connection neeeds to be fused thru the box so a constant current isn't running thru keeping the lights on. I was just showing the battery for easier layout.

**broken link removed**

That'll do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back