Simple Relay HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geis

Hello all! New to the forum and have a quick question.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to simple circuit layouts but here is my problem. I am setting up my wife's car to have daytime running LED's that turn off automatically when she turns on the headlights. These LEDs will be a totally different set of lights. I know that most DTL are a dimmer to the existing lights but we don't want that.

The picture shows what I am trying to get at. I believe I might have the connections to the relay mixed up.
Hope you all can help!
-Geis

**broken link removed**

Both circuits you posted have a direct short to ground! DO NOT USE!

First, you want to power the relay coil off the headlight wire: Lights off, relay off; light on relay on. Ground the other end of the relay coil (the unlabled pins on your relay picture).

Second, you want to find a spare circuit in the fuse panel which has 12V out of it only if the key-switch is in the run position.
Install the appropriate fuse for your LED lights, and hook that to terminal 5 of your relay. Hook terminal 1 to the + input of your LED lights with the - end grounded to airframe.

Last edited:
Yeah, like I said, I believe I have some connections mixed up. I need to know where to put what so it does work. Let me rework the layout to your idea and post another pic.

Last edited:
Here's the new layout. I understand that the "battery" connection neeeds to be fused thru the box so a constant current isn't running thru keeping the lights on. I was just showing the battery for easier layout.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…