Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple PV low-power relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alby_K

Hi guys, I am new to all of this, in fact I started digging yesterday, so forgive my poor diagram :meh:.
Mission: I want to built a small solar powered light arrangement, that turns on automatically after dusk.
Currenctly I have battery packs (BP) hooked up to a solar pad (SP) via USB and there is a USB lamp that somebody can plug-in. Now I want to 'automate that', based on the following requirements:
1) everything is connected and no manual switching or pluggin-in has to be performed
2) the battery packs cannot be charged while being connected to a load
3) minimal power consumption of components

So I thought about connecting the 5Vout of the BP to a 5V relay (Photodiode is the signal) and then to a buck converter to finally power the usually 1.2V-battery-powered LED string lights. The relay runs NC mode and opens the circuit once it's sunny outside. However, the relay also has to close the SP-BP connected circuit once it's sunny and this is were my diagram has problems. I think I cannot connect both the SP and BP to the common terminal (can I?o_O).
The relay I found eats roughly 150mA, which is ok because I will use a 20.000mAh battery pack. But I really don't want to use 2 relays - one for the BP-circuit and the other for the SP circuit, since it will eat 300mA*5V=1.5W which is too much for my effectively 13W DC SP. I don't want to use over 10% of the generated Power just to maintain relays...
Is there something like selector switch relay with 4 connections, that can switch back and forth between 1-2 and 3-4? Ideally even a latching type?
Thanks guys! :woot:

Attachments

• PV_powered_string_lights.JPG
    PV_powered_string_lights.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I am new to all of this, in fact I started digging yesterday, so forgive my diagram :meh:.
Mission: I want to built a small solar powered light arrangement, that turns on automatically after dusk.
Currenctly I have battery packs (BP) hooked up to a solar pad (SP) via USB and there is a USB lamp that somebody can plug-in. Now I want to 'automate that', based on the following requirements:
1) everything is connected and no manual switching or pluggin-in has to be performed
2) the battery packs cannot be charged while being connected to a load
3) minimal power consumption of components

So I thought about connecting the 5Vout of the BP to a 5V relay (Photodiode is the signal) and then to a buck converter to finally power the usually 1.2V-battery-powered LED string lights. The relay runs NC mode and opens the circuit once it's sunny outside. However, the relay also has to close the SP-BP connected circuit once it's sunny and this is were my diagram has problems. I think I cannot connect both the SP and BP to the common terminal (can I?o_O).
The relay I found eats roughly 150mA, which is ok because I will use a 20.000mAh battery pack. But I really don't want to use 2 relays - one for the BP-circuit and the other for the SP circuit, since it will eat 300mA*5V=1.5W which is too much for my effectively 13W DC SP. I don't want to use over 10% of the generated Power just to maintain relays...
Is there something like selector switch relay with 4 connections, that can switch back and forth between 1-2 and 3-4? Ideally even a latching type?
Thanks guys! :woot:
Hi Alby,

If I understand your requirement correctly, it would not be necessary to use a mechanical relay. Instead a MOSFET would be an ideal switch and would consume virtually no current. A MOSFET approach would probably cost less than a relay and a MOSFET would never wear out like a relay.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back