Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulgun16

Hello, I am currently working on a project where i want to replace the switches in a guitar hero guitar, in my case the world tour one. The current problem is that the stock switches are really bad and wear out easily to the point where they miss strums, so to remedy this i have mechanical switches i want to swap them with. In the past i have switched the switches in my GH live guitar and it works great! the problem with the world tour one is that it uses different switches than what you would find as mechanical, they are the kind that look like a little cassette tape with a metal bar going 45 degrees out of it as a trigger. The problem isnt with spacing or anything, just the pcb would not support the mechanical switches as is, and i know i could just use a prototype pcb and cut it to fit and i was going to do that but i decided i would rather have a more professional look to it and also have an easy to use way to apply this to my other guitars and friends guitars. I was planning on using osh park to fulfill this, and essentially I would need just a pcb that meets the dimensions of the existing one, a simple square, with the 6 holes for screws it has going through it and a spot for 2 mechanical switches to mount with traces leading to the end of the board having 2 electric (one for each switch) and 1 ground to be shared. I tried looking up tutorials for using eagle to do it as it seemed simple enough, but the main problem im having is it seems like it requires me to place a part to draw the connections and such and ironically enough i cannot find a library with a mechanical switch to save my life to set on it let alone place the holes or come up with the directions. So in the end any and all help here is appreciated whether it be someone guiding me in the right direction towards making this myself or someone helping me create it as this may actually end up being the only time i feel the need to create my own pcb for something, thanks in advance!

Some pictures would help understand the problem. If you simply need a device or package made in Eagle, post a link to the datasheet, and someone may do it for depending on the complexity.

John

Pictures won't help design the PCB mounting footprint for your switch.
Soulgun16 said:
... but the main problem im having is it seems like it requires me to place a part to draw the connections and such and ironically enough i cannot find a library with a mechanical switch to save my life to set on it let alone place the holes or come up with the directions.

I re-reading that comment, maybe you just want any old mechanical switch. Check the Eagle switch libraries:

upload_2017-8-30_12-47-38.png

The switch sounds like i microswitch. I'm never seen one in a pc-mount style.

microswitch-5a-short-lever.jpg

The switch sounds like i microswitch. I'm never seen one in a pc-mount style.

Maybe your experience is limited. Here is a partial search of DigiKey. Note the large number of "PCB"(i.e., through hole or SMD) devices.

**broken link removed**

A synonym to consider for lever actuated switches is "limit" switches. There are 846 listings considered to be either through hole or SMD.

John

.....Maybe your experience is limited....

Unlike many here, I will freely admit I don't know everything. I really don't consider my lack of seeing a PCB-mount micro-switch to have limited my life in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back