Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple? op-amp problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I am working on a project for work that involves retrofitting a sigma-delta converter onto an existing design. The problem is that the sigma-delta converter has a 0-5V input, but the current circuit has a signal range of -5 to +5.

So I need to add another stage to convert this signal to 0-5V. I figure I could just use a gain of 0.5 for the scaling, but I dont know how to offset it.

hi,
This is a circuit for +/-2.5V input, you could easily modify for +/-5V input.

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi,
This is a circuit for +/-2.5V input, you could easily modify for +/-5V input.
That circuit inverts the input. This may not be a problem. If it is, you could add another inverter, with appropriate offsetting.
Another way is to use an R-R attenuator (gain=0.5), but instead of returning the other end of the attenuator to GND, return it to a 5.0V reference. You could follow that with a unity gain buffer (op amp with gain=+1), or you might not need one, depending on your source and load resistances.
EDIT: Note that this won't work if your source is AC-coupled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back