Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple op amp plans needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

2WAYTECH

Hi, I am new here. I need to build an op amp with a single supply input. I am trying to amplify a signal from 125mVrms to a nominal 1 volt pk-pk. So any help I could get regarding plans or direction for building a low power single supply op amp with a gain factor of about 5 or 6 would be awesome. Thanks.

For a single supply it's easiest if you use an op amp designed for such use, such as these suggested by Audoguru:
  • MC34074 (OnSemi) - V=3/44, GBW=4.5MHz, Bipolar (no R-R), 0.71€
  • MC33174 (OnSemi) - V=3/44, GBW=1.8MHz, Bipolar (no R-R), 0.70€
  • MC33204 (OnSemi) - V=2/12, GBW=2.2MHz, Bipolar, 0.96€
  • TLV2374 (TI) - V=3/16, GBW=3MHz, CMOS, 0.81€
  • TLC274 (TI) - V=3/16, GBW=1.7MHz, CMOS, 0.46€
  • TLV2464 (TI) - V=2.7/6, GBW=6.4MHz, CMOS, 1.48€
  • LM6134 (NSC) - V=2.7/12, GBW=10MHz, Bipolar, 2.82€
  • LMC6484 (NSC) - V=3/15, GBW=1.5MHz, CMOS, 2.55€
  • MCP604 (Microchip) - V=2.7/6, GBW=2.8MHz, CMOS, 0.78€
Is your signal a normal AC bipolar signal (+/-) centered around ground? If so then you will need to couple the signal through a capacitor with the cap output going to a resistor divider connected the + supply and ground. Two 20kΩ resistors should work. The capacitor needs to be large enough to transfer the lowest signal frequency into a 10kΩ load. For 20Hz this would be 1µF or greater.

Connect the junction of the two resistors and capacitor to the op amp + (non-inverting) input.

For a nominal gain of 5.6, connect a 10kΩ resistor from the - (inverting) input to ground and also connect a 46kΩ resistor from the op amp output to the - input.

The output voltage will have a DC offset of 1/2 the supply voltage. If you need the output referred back to +/- ground level, you will need to add a capacitor at the op amp output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back