Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple Lead acid battery conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anafam

hi guys, I have a 6v 4AH Lead acid battery . I am using this to power a small portable dvd player which requires at least 8v to 12v dc power.

My question is how can I convert the power from the 6v 4AH Lead acid battery to give at least 9v to power the portable dvd player ?

I need a really simple cheap solution without any complex circuits.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much current do you require?

There are plenty of ICs that can be used to boost 5V to 7V and give 12V out, all that's needed is a couple of resistors, capacitors and an inductor.

If you you don't have the time/skill to assemble a circuit then you can buy modules that don't require any external components.

Buy a second 6V battery to put in series with the one you already have or a new 12V battery. If you try to use a switcher to step up 6V to 9 or 12 at 1.5A, the current draw from the 6V battery would be ~3A, so the run time would be short.

Last edited:
I only have one 6v battery at the moment.

Im sorry I don't know what a switcher is? I'm sort of a noob when it comes to electronics.I'm not a complete noob, I know a lot more than the basics, I can solder and do small things like that, but I'm really bad at ic's and stuff.

Is there anyway to convert from 6v using a few resistors and transistors?

Last edited:
Did you check out the links?

The websites are really easy to use, simple input the requirements and you'll be pointed to a datasheet which will have an application circuit one it.

Here's a simple circuit using a couple of transistors but you'll need to find a ferrite core and it's more complicated than using a regulator from one of the suppliers I linked above.

Attachments

• stepup.PNG
    stepup.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 117
You can do it with a capacitor and DPDT relay that switches the cap so it is alternately in series with the batt. and in parallel with the batt.
If you switch at 1/2 Hz you need 1.5F for 1v P-P ripple. 5 Hz, 0.15F. 50 Hz, 15,000 uF. You're trading off relay contact life for cap. size.
I = C (ΔV/Δt), C = I (Δt/ΔV).
Three 4700 uF caps from Hosfelt.com is ~$1.50 total.

Last edited:
Just go to Digikey or someplace and buy a DC-DC converter module rated for 1.5A. Cost like $30-$100, but saves you a lot of headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back