Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple electronic piano

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoom

Found a simple circuit for obtaining beep sound with different frequencies, that's the say different notes.

Here is the circuit;
View attachment 61365

However the problem is that, I couldn't obtain the necessary resistor value to get specific frequencies.

By changing R2, I would be able to do that. However with Multisim application I couldn't obtain the frequency with given resistor value.

Frequencies I want to get are those;

View attachment 61366

Can anyone manage to do that. Shouldn't be hard but I'm not good at using that application probably.

Last edited:
If you are absolutely sure of the resistances you need (I wouldn't trust the simulation that much), then you can buy 1% resistors and parallel a pair for each note. Here is a calculator from TI for calculating individual resistors in a parallel pair, but the site is temporarily down: **broken link removed**

However, I would buy a bunch of trimmer resistors (one for each note) and use them either individually or in series with some near-correct fixed resistors, such as 100 Ω, 220 Ω, 333 Ω, etc. plus a 100 Ω trimmer. That way, you can tune the piano too.

John

Last edited:
If you are absolutely sure of the resistances you need (I wouldn't trust the simulation that much), then you can buy 1% resistors and parallel a pair for each note. Here is a calculator from TI for calculating individual resistors in a parallel pair, but the site is temporarily down: **broken link removed**

However, I would buy a bunch of trimmer resistors (one for each note) and use them either individually or in series with some near-correct fixed resistors, such as 100 Ω, 220 Ω, 333 Ω, etc. plus a 100 Ω trimmer. That way, you can tune the piano too.

John

Thank you John for your advice. However, the problem itself is the ambiguous values of resistors, that's why I want to use a simulator to get the approximately value of the resistor which gives me the frequency I want.
Tuning the piano with a trimmer resistor is also a solution but it's a huge chore.

There must be a way of doing that through simulators.

Try LT Spice (free, Linear Technology). I think you can use any value and any tolerance you want for your components. I have no experience with Multisim. Remember, your capacitors will not be very accurate. I don't think you can rely on the simulation.

You could do a 2 or 3 point calibration curve (i.e., actual vs. simulated), then calculate the values more closely, but I still think you will need to tune it.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back