Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple down n easy motion detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Have a craft fair in May and presently working on some whirligigs. Two of them are Saquatch and idea came about to put some red leds for eyes.
Well now I am considering a Sasquatch silhouette with red led eyes for a room ornament (not really a night light but a conservation piece)
Thinking a motion sensor that isn't too big. I have several PIR modules but they are kinda big in size so something smaller or even just a photo cell??
Be really cool to have the Sasquatch flap his arms (the whirligigs do this)using a servo motor.

Look at two sensors in a differential mode. ... what this does is mathematically cancel out any common mode signals leaving you with a greater signal to noise ratio. The two sensors can be light, sound, etc.

Ultrasonic proximity sensors on ebay for $2, light sensor modules, etc.

ak

Try these "radar" sensors. They will detect people at 5 meters (which can be decreased by adding R or C), they will detect people THROUGH walls, they are cheap, small and easy to use.

They are about 1" × 2" and will work over a large voltage range. You will need to use a transistor to switch any current.

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-27-00-10-29.png
Screenshot_20180227-001133.jpg

You can get Pir sensors on ebay the size of a 10mm Led.
I've seen cheap plastic ornaments at the pound shop that use a single photo resistor for motion sensing, must just look for a change in light level.

Delt with stand alone PIR sensors and they can be finicky. The radar sensor sounds interesting as does the ultrasonic sensors.
Thanks for suggestions

Goto the thrift shop and find a couple of billy bass, take apart and use the bits.
Are those flappy fish things called billy bass there? might have the name a bit wrong, but essentially its all in and cant cost more than $5

Would save poor old jonsea some stress, but might also deprive the rest of us some giggles. But would do the job

They are indeed Billy Bass here, although I haven't seen many recently. A EE friend of mine did give a Billy Bass a brain transplant. I'm not sure exactly what he did with it.

The radar sensors are ridiculously easy to use. I connected power (to the Vin terminal, not the 3.3v OUTPUT) and a DVM to monitor the output and it worked straight away. It detected my partner coming down the stairs through 2 layers of sheetrock, a layer of wood paneling, even with various soldering stations and etc. in front of the wall. The ONLY difficulty is that they provide only about 2mA output, so a driver transistor will be needed for almost any application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back