Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You smelled something burning?
The little 2N4401 and 2N4403 have an absolute max allowed heat dissipation of only 625mW. In a 9W amplifier each one must dissipate 3W at full output. They will fry.
The simulation software doesn't know that.

The little transistors have a max allowed current of only 600mA. At 9W into an 8 ohm speaker the peak current is 1.5A. Bridged it will be 3A. They will fry.
The sim software also doesn't know that.

You need to use power transistors like the TIP31 and TIP32 mounted on a heatsink. But their current gain is much lower than little transistors so the circuit needs additional transistors added.
Use Sziklai pairs (look in Google) for high linear current gain.

The "bias servo" transistor needs to be mounted on the same heatsink as the output transistors so it can compensate their current for changes in their temperature.

audioguru said:
You smelled something burning?
The little 2N4401 and 2N4403 have an absolute max allowed heat dissipation of only 625mW. In a 9W amplifier each one must dissipate 3W at full output. They will fry.
The simulation software doesn't know that.

The little transistors have a max allowed current of only 600mA. At 9W into an 8 ohm speaker the peak current is 1.5A. Bridged it will be 3A. They will fry.
The sim software also doesn't know that.

You need to use power transistors like the TIP31 and TIP32 mounted on a heatsink. But their current gain is much lower than little transistors so the circuit needs additional transistors added.
Use Sziklai pairs (look in Google) for high linear current gain.

The "bias servo" transistor needs to be mounted on the same heatsink as the output transistors so it can compensate their current for changes in their temperature.

I used 125w power transistors in the real version, and a 4011 for the Vbe multiplier.

Yesterday I spent the day making a "crude" mosfet amp with complementary mosfet output stages, mosfet voltage/input stage, negative feedback, and bootstrapping; and it probably sounded better than anything I ever herd, despite the slightly low volume. It uses a single-polarity 12v supply.

Attachments

• MOSFETAMP.jpg
    MOSFETAMP.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 168
Your Moset amp's voltage divider of the 10M resistor feeding less than 300 ohms eliminates any negative feedback.
EDIT: Its tiny 220uF output capacitor cuts 91Hz to half power and cuts lower frequencies much more.

Here is a pretty good very simple Mosfet amplifier.

Attachments

• Mini-Mosfet Amplifier.PNG
    Mini-Mosfet Amplifier.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I started this thread for the phase splitter, now I need itmore that I can make the rest of it.

No point in a phase splitter if you don't have any amps?, and you haven't shown anything that looks like an amp yet - you also don't need a phase splitter, if you design your amps to be bridged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back