Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

signal range

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairlight

I'm new to electronics and I have project that requires a signal to be sent a minimum range of 1 mile with a 12" wire antennae. I'm not sure how the signal is going to be arranged in terms of AM, FM, etc. It would be running off a 9v battery I think, with minimal draw.

How feasible is this?

At 500 GHz. it will easily be a DX record. At some lower frequency it should be possible. If that 12" was a quarter wave vertical then the ideal wavelength for your signal would 48" = 1.22 Meters or about 246 MHz.

If you had an ARL then your choices would be 146 MHz (2M band), 220 MHz., or 440 MHz. I should think a mile on 1-5 Watts should be doable.

I see that multiple batteries will last longer than a single because of the pull or something. Perhaps go with multiple d cells, underlying factor is to use as little of the battery as possible for limited interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back