Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Signal generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karn

I was hoping someone could recommend a test tool for testing TVs, some type of signal generator to easily verify if the external "antenna booster/selector" switches are working and to verify coax wiring, example,,,
I have a cable tv input in a wall, that has a coax that goes to a antenna booster switch, when the booster switch is off it allows the cable signal to go to the tv, when the booster switch is on it switches signal to a hdtv antenna for local channels,, right now the only way I can verify the cable tv input is good is by hooking a DVD player to the cable tv input and running a cable tv channel scan on the tv, I was hoping to find some easier way to generate a signal on the cable tv to verify it's working
Thanks

the only affordable way you can do this is with an analog color bar generator that has an RF output (usually channel 3 and 4 VHF). or in the same vein, an old game console that used an RF converter would work. if you want HDTV generators with RF outputs, those tend to start at over $1,000.00 US.

I'm mainly wanting it to verify the signal on the cable tv end, if it generated a signal on channel 3 of 4 I should be able to verify it quickly being a low channel number, I will try to find one of these online, thanks

A quick google search for 'color bar generator' returns some 35$ items that look like it's exactly what I want, just appears to be marketed for cctv and security camera monitors but it should all work the same for transmitting the signal to the cable tv input with bnc to coax adapter, right?

A colour bar generator for CCTV is likely producing baseband composite video (eg. it would work on the AV input on a TV).

You need a modulated RF video source to connect to an antenna input.

Hmm, so it might work with one and an rf modulator, Idealy a small portable battery operated all in one unit would be perfect, I will keep searching on google, hopefully, I can did something, or find a way to make something,

Some more looking and I found model 1211e by BK precision, appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, it also has a bnc output but it says it's RF so think with a bnc to coax adapter this will work,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back