Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shunt Amplifier/Monitor IC with negative Common Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxOnTheRun

I'm trying to read a current using a shunt resistor on the high side of a negative voltage. I found a lot of high side integrated current shunt ICs (ZTX 3 pins with current output are the best), but they all assume they are placed on the high side of a positive voltage rail, hence they have a high common mode voltage, but only positive to their supplied ground.

Then I found this one, LT6105, where its Input common mode range extends 44V above V- indipendent of V+ (hence mobile).
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/6105fa.pdf

h1hccPm.png

In this barebone schema I omitted the Load part with a ready current source. The current flows from ground to -40V, the shunt is in high side on the neg. rail (load is grounded, and the shunt resistor touches the voltage supply).

This looks like a huge life saver, the queston is: are there other similar chips? I was unable to find other components where the datasheet reported the input common mode range respect to V- (and the ability to have an explicit negative V-); to my untrained eye, they all reference to ground (in single or dual supply operations). A couple have something like -5/+60V, but it's not written if it's respect to absolute Gnd or V- pin applied voltage.

Second point, what if I have a -60V supply? Should I forcifully go with a differential opamp design like LT1990? (but then I will have to add a second amplifying stage) I'm referring to Linear just because I have ready models in LTSpice to try (and the simulations actually converge); the bad is that it doesn't say if I'm violating component rating (max supply, common mode, etc).

Let me know if I got current shunts the wrong way ;)

Since the negative rail is both the negative supply for the electronics and the line being sensed, any opamp with a common mode range that includes its own negative rail will work as the current shunt buffer amplifier. Translating the output upward so it is ground referenced takes a bit more work, but nothing extreme. What is your error budget or tolerance/precision/accuracy requirement?

And, alluding to several recent threads you know nothing about - thanks for including a schematic of your current thinking and a device data link in the initial question.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back