Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Show off your workbench!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty net with that tesla coil next to it!

You should see my new Tesla Coil!

(Quick mockup)
10662190_853130868032146_4831918279772616785_o.jpg

I actually have a blog here detailing the design/build.

Now that's an appropriate mess behind it. LOL
Looks nice, how long did it take to wind that coil?
and have you fired it up yet?

That mess behind it is pretty indicative of my old basement. Lots and lots of junk.

It took 10 3/4 hours straight to wind that coil. 1500 turns of #34 enameled wire which gives me a coil approximately 30cm tall.

Still missing some parts and my budget ran out (I got married and now I have to be more responsible with my $$) so no, haven't fired it up yet. I'm hoping to get back to it soon, but it probably won't happen. More realistically it'll probably be a few years.

Matt

My upstairs "bench" (actually an old bereau with he drawers removed) where I tested the driver circuitry for my Tesla coil:

10538621_859625027382730_4237668404297172421_n.jpg

Once again, a very clumsy, sloppy setup.

My current workbench(es). I still haven't had a chance to do any organization since I moved in to my new place:

20160123_092814.jpg 20160123_092847.jpg

Looks like a good basis for a workshop.
I don't know about the deep south of Zummerzet, but up here the first task would be to fix the gaps where the roof meets the walls.

JimB

Going to have a complete make over- I just can't decide which interior decorator to go for :rolleyes:

(ps: gaps are not as bad as they seem-most vent to a similar workshop next door, but yes there is some minor structural work to do)

Last edited:
My upstairs "bench" (actually an old bereau with he drawers removed) where I tested the driver circuitry for my Tesla coil:

View attachment 96993

Once again, a very clumsy, sloppy setup.

DS8,

What model is the Lenovo Thinkpad?
I have a T520 and am looking for a similar model for an ETO member- any recommendations?

Here ya go, I better get the award for cleanest work bench.
I made this on Labor Day, and took this pic as soon as I finished it. 5min later it was inside and under a pile of crap.

bench.jpg

DS8,

What model is the Lenovo Thinkpad?
I have a T520 and am looking for a similar model for an ETO member- any recommendations?

I used to have a W520, then I upgraded to a W530, and now I"m back to a T520. Great machines (all of them), I highly recommend them. The W series just has extra bells and whistles that probably aren't necessary. T-series is great.

Matt

I used to have a W520, then I upgraded to a W530, and now I"m back to a T520. Great machines (all of them), I highly recommend them. The W series just has extra bells and whistles that probably aren't necessary. T-series is great.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I find those laptops as you say but I understand that Lenovo have messed up the touch-pad and associated keys on the T550. Have you heard anything about the T560 which is in the pipe-line?

Wow, wow, wow. And you loose all your instruments and things...!

Did the whole 1st floor collapsed? My closest experience was a gas explosion (oven) and just that allows to guess what was yours.

Thanks Matt,

I find those laptops as you say but I understand that Lenovo have messed up the touch-pad and associated keys on the T550. Have you heard anything about the T560 which is in the pipe-line?

I haven't heard anything about the T550, no. I'm pretty happy with my T520 for now :)

Wow, wow, wow. And you loose all your instruments and things...!

Did the whole 1st floor collapsed? My closest experience was a gas explosion (oven) and just that allows to guess what was yours.

We lost pretty much everything, apart from a few personal items. I was taken to hospital near Bristol UK and my wife stayed in a nearby hotel. In the meantime the neighbors to the left were evacuated because there was a danger that our house would slide over on to their house. A couple of days later they pulled the roof and top story off with a Hy Mac and to get to the back garden they drove the Hy Mac over the garage. All my tools, equipment etc, etc were in the garage. All were squashed to pulp. The house was left without a roof or top story and when it rained everything that hadn't been smashed by the Hy Mac got ruined.

No, the floor did not collapse, luckily. Also when the rafters collapsed into the the bedroom, amazingly they formed a tent like structure around me, so I was uninjured, just badly burned.

The missing upper bay window was blown 70 feet and smashed on the road in front of the house. Thank god there was nobody there at the time.

You have my sympathies if you too have suffered a gas explosion- burns can be extremley painful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back