Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should i get Linux???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had the same problem. i had to download it again. i guess a bit or two got messed up i the download

I have had really bad luck with KUBUNTU. That is why i went with ubuntu. Kubuntu kept fussing about this and that, when in ubuntu, i was able to do things that kubuntu wouldn't! :mad:

oh well. I like the simplicity of gnome (now). KDE is a BIT over kill. I still like it, too, though...

shaneshane1 said:
well i tried it again, and still no luck, it just gets to the linux desktop and when i click on install, the install window opens up only with a white screen?

i might try to re burn it to another CD?

I think Gaston's right: try downloading a new ISO and burn that.

Torben

I tried running it again and no luck i clicked on the install and walk away because it was taking forever?

after about 20 minutes the first WELCOME screen was available and i had to choose my country, but i couldnt do anything whenever i moved my mouse it was really slow and the CD drive sounded like it was trying to find a particular part of the CD, but it never worked?

is there a way to install/convert the original ISO file to my spare hard drive without a reboot using the CD drive???

I tried running it again and no luck i clicked on the install and walk away because it was taking forever?

after about 20 minutes the first WELCOME screen was available and i had to choose my country, but i couldnt do anything whenever i moved my mouse it was really slow and the CD drive sounded like it was trying to find a particular part of the CD, but it never worked?

is there a way to install/convert the original ISO file to my spare hard drive without a reboot using the CD drive???

[edit] when i downloaded it there were two download options one was for computers with sempron and ohers, and the other one was for computers with 64bit AMD and Intel computers.

well i dont know what mine really was, on my computer it says AMD Sempron

so i chose the first one that said sempron?

i dont understand what that means.

shaneshane1 said:

What kind of machine power are we talking here? Semprons aren't high-end but faster ones should be OK. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. IIRC, the box that pops up should tell you the Windows version, amount of memory, processor type, etc.

And on a Sempron, it is possible that running the Live CD might be quite (read: painfully) choppy.

EASY WAY FIRST: I'm going to tell you *first* what I think will have the greatest chance of success: go to http://www.ubuntu.com and download the Alternate version for i386. Burn the ISO to CD at a slow speed on good media. Try booting from that. You won't have the Live CD feature, but the text-based installer works just as well.

You should probably check the downloaded ISO's MP5 checksum to make sure it's OK before you burn it. Use a tool like http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/. Get the MD5 checksum from **broken link removed** and open it. It has a few lines of text. Each line is an MD5 checksum followed by the name of the image file which it is for. Check that against the output of the md5sums.exe program.

That said, if you're dead-set on getting the ISO you have onto a hard drive and trying to install from that, (brief) instructions are here: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:...ntu_from_ISO_image_on_hard_drive_or_USB_stick

There is a catch, however--you will need a bootable Linux of some description, since you need to be able to boot via a bootloader where you can tell the kernel where to find the ISO you've copied onto the hard drive. More trouble than it's worth.

If your PC can boot from a USB stick, and you have one that you can wipe and fit the ISO image on, you could try this: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

But I'd consider both options to be last resorts (and even then, I'd try the second one first).

[edit] when i downloaded it there were two download options one was for computers with sempron and ohers, and the other one was for computers with 64bit AMD and Intel computers.

well i dont know what mine really was, on my computer it says AMD Sempron

so i chose the first one that said sempron?

i dont understand what that means.

You picked the right one. Sempron is the name of AMD's budget processor family, something like Intel's Celerons.

Torben

ok i have XP Home edition

version 2002
service pack 2

mobile AMD sempron processor 2800+
1.60Ghz and 192mb of ram :(

do you think it should work ok?

shaneshane1 said:
ok i have XP Home edition

version 2002
service pack 2

mobile AMD sempron processor 2800+
1.60Ghz and 192mb of ram :(

do you think it should work ok?

It should, but I'm not making any guarantees--I've never used one of those. You may not be able to turn on all the bling, but one thing I love about Linux is that if the GUI is too heavy for the machine, you can always replace it with something lighter.

But: get more RAM. Especially if you don't run Linux. 1 GB is just about good, 2 GB is fine for just about anything you'd want to do at home (for Windows). Linux doesn't need quite as much just to run, but RAM is cheap and it makes things much faster no matter what OS you're running. 192 MB may well be the reason things are running so slow for you.

Torben

Torben said:
It should, but I'm not making any guarantees--I've never used one of those. You may not be able to turn on all the bling, but one thing I love about Linux is that if the GUI is too heavy for the machine, you can always replace it with something lighter.

But: get more RAM. Especially if you don't run Linux. 1 GB is just about good, 2 GB is fine for just about anything you'd want to do at home (for Windows). Linux doesn't need quite as much just to run, but RAM is cheap and it makes things much faster no matter what OS you're running. 192 MB may well be the reason things are running so slow for you.

Torben

ok thanks, more RAM is on the card's, ill download that other app you recommended, thanks for all the help, ill post back at a later time to let you know how it went.

[edit] is the Alternate version the server addition???

Last edited:
shaneshane1 said:
ok thanks, more RAM is on the card's, ill download that other app you recommended, thanks for all the help, ill post back at a later time to let you know how it went.

No problem. Good news on the RAM, too--I never believed it was so important until I tried more and realized I almost never heard the hard drive anymore (compared to back in the 256 MB days).

Good luck! Post if you hit a speedbump, or if you succeed wildly. :)

Torben

shaneshane1 said:
[edit] is the Alternate version the server addition???

Nope. When I went to it just now it offered me desktop-i386.

Torben

Torben said:
No problem. Good news on the RAM, too--I never believed it was so important until I tried more and realized I almost never heard the hard drive anymore (compared to back in the 256 MB days).

Good luck! Post if you hit a speedbump, or if you succeed wildly. :)

Torben

sorry to post again but i wasnt sure if you seen my edit in the last post, is the Alternate linux you were talking about the server addition???

Torben said:
Nope. When I went to it just now it offered me desktop-i386.

Torben

isn't that the one i already have???

i had a look at the link and there is 2 options, desktop and server addition?

well after trying to use ubuntu linux on my pc and failing, i tried zenwalk live 4.8 and everything is fine, :D

But does anyone know how to connect to the net? it doesn't seem to want to work, i dont know if i have to set anything up or if it just should work, i have a LAN and a WLAN Connection does it work for both?

is there anyone that knows how i can get this to work?

Good you got it working.

I don't know, I have a cable modem connected to my PC with ethernet cable and it just works which is more than can be said for Windows which required a CD from my ISP.

One thing you'll find about Linux is that it's highly variable and this is both good and bad. It's good because it gives you lots of choice but bad because there's too much choice.

Hero999 said:
I don't know, I have a cable modem connected to my PC with ethernet cable and it just works which is more than can be said for Windows which required a CD from my ISP.

You appear to be confused?, plug an ethernet cable from a Windows PC into a router (cable or ADSL) and it works - no need for any CD's.

The CD from your ISP was to run a setup program to allow you to easily set your router up, and to brand your browser and email program with the ISP's name.

It had nothing to do with the internet connection, no different to Linux or a MAC.

Well i still dont know what to do?

i cant work out how to get the internet and my keyboard is all over the place,when i press a it might be 6 and if i press f it might be y and so on, i have a loptop, is there setting for this?

if you get to the point of wanting to install an os to your laptop hard drive, make sure you know what your doing first [no offence intended] i think you mentioned it is an acer aspire, acer laptops have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive BEFORE the boot [c:\] partition. i recently recovered a vista installation on an aspire and it was a pig because an 'expert' had reinstalled vista over the existing installation, corupting acer's proprietary MBR. if this sounds like gibberish, do a bit of research before you install to hard disk.
after that, good luck. i think it's a worthwhile experiment that i intend to try again time permitting [ha!]

well at the moment i just want to get the live cd working with the internet and keyboard, i would like to put it on a usb drive when i know the internet can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back