Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shorting a 50KHz, 1.9A RMS sinusoidal current with a relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello, I have a constant 50KHz, 1.9A RMS sinusoidal current flowing in a 10R resistor. Every now and again, I wish to short out this resistor with a relay. (as you know, when the relay shorts the resistor out, the 1.9A current will then flow through the relay)

Is this relay ok to do this shorting job?

The peak resistor voltage is 27V, and the relay is rated to 30VDC. (I assumed I have to look at the relays "DC" rating, since its AC rating is for 50Hz AC , and 50KHz AC is basically going to appear like DC to the relay because the contact arc will not extinguish after the zero crossing as the volts rise up again very quickly with 50KHz AC?)

PCN-112D3MHZ Relay by TE connectivity.....
https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/pcn-112d3mhz/relay-12vdc-spno-10a-tht/dp/4444942?Ntt=4444942

Last edited:
Although 1.9A is within the DC switching spec of the relay the electrical endurance is specified for a 250VAC resistive load only. Unless you can get the info for 50kHz switching from the manufacturer you would need to conduct your own tests on a sample relay or else risk premature failure of the relay, which could prove expensive (think product recalls, reputation, litigation) if it's to be used in a commercial product.

In that case it's cheap enough just to buy one and suck it and see. You'll soon know if it can't do the job :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back