Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shocking pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin886

Online joke shops are selling these shcocking pens ,does anyone know how the work and if they do please put a schematic up too thx :D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

i would think use the pen casing as a conductor, and then current will be traveling through this, and when the people touch it, it will shock them. i think?

Not much of a schematic. The piezo clicker is the same one used in any "button type" lighter. Like, the exact same mass produced part.

I got one of these at a flea market. Runs off one cell. Has some sort of transformer/relay device all rolled into one. This thing REALLY hurts when you use it, I wouldn't recommend it for the weak hearted. It is not a quick one time zap like a cigarrete lighter(which by the way is 100x less painful), but a continous shock until you release the button. I'm not even sure it's legal.

So... on with the explanation.

The end of the coil unit you can see has a metal disc and an inner nipple, the two of which are insulated from eachother. Pushing the button compresses the battery spring until the inner part makes contact with the battery.

When that main coil is energized, I think it acts as a magnet and pulls the slab of metal on that thin strip, which disconnects the coil I guess, at which point it is free to return and reconnect the coil.

The main housing of the pen is metal, and the very tip of the push button is also metal, which is unsulated from the rest of the housing. The tip of the button connects directly to the negative end of the battery.

There is a little strip that starts near the base of the coil unit, it used to be longer, but was broken short by accident. This gets wedged against the main pen body when the whole thing is put together.

Internally, I'm still a bit confused on which parts of the coil unit connect to eachother and in what way exactly.

Attachments

• img_0004_small.jpg
    img_0004_small.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,955
  • img_0007_small.jpg
    img_0007_small.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,440
  • img_0008_small.jpg
    img_0008_small.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,646
Basically, the zapping pen converts DC to AC, giving you a continous zap because the direction keeps changing, i attatched a "schematic" the part "circled" in red is a relay thith a normally on position marked "NO". when the current passes through the relay (since the circuit is complete) it triggers the relay's activating coil, braking the circuit (since the moving arm in the relay is drawn away from the "NO" position). the current activates the transformer (circled in green).

Since the arm moving from the NO position has broken the circuit, the activating coil switches off, allowing the arm to return to "NO" position and therefore rejopins the circuit and the cycle repeats until either the battery ("circled" in yellow) goes flat or another break in the circuit is made eg by a switch.

**broken link removed**

The pen uses the same principal except the activation coil and primary coil from the transformer are the same coil. When the transformer turns on, it lifts that strip of metal away from the other bit of metal and breaks the circuit and so on and so forth.

Sorry to post on an old thread - but am I right in thinking this works by shocking you with the back emf from cutting the current to the coil with the relay. This can create far larger PDs than the supply can't it - I know I got a right belt off a wall adaptor one - or 'wall wart' - when unplugging it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back