Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice on powering LED and can't say what it is because of patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

limited816

First off I am here because my experience in electronics is limited at best.

I am developing a prototype which will use a small 5mm LED and need advice on how to set it up. It will need to be motion activated, and somewhere between 10mA - 25mA (best I can gather after doing some research online) so that the light will only remain on for a 60 second period of time then turn off. And I have heard a resistor might be needed, and perhaps a charge pump? I'm really only vaguely familiar with these parts so would appreciate any advice on if this makes sense.

And I do not yet have a source for any other the parts other than the LED at present. This may end up as a product I could consider selling but I just want to see if I can make it work. Oh and it has to be quite small. Can I guess at no more than 3/4"-1", diameter? I don't know the size of anything other than the LED lights

For the following which I found on Amazon. See link at the bottom:

• 5 mm LED lamp assorted kit: contains 100 LEDs of 10 colors (yellow, orange, emerald green, blue, white, red, green, warm white, purple and colorful flash)
  • Head type: water drop shape round and clear heads; Forward voltage: R/ Y/ G/ O 1.8-2.0 V; B/ W/ WW/ E/ P 3.0-3.2 V; C 3.0-3.4 V; Max. Current: 20 mA

Don't know if this will be of any help to me but I did find this tool: https://ledcalculator.net/#p=3&v=1.8&c=10&n=1&o=w

1671559185301.png

Regards, Dana.

Also note that they progressively drop to around 1V as the discharge, over their useful lifetime.
To guarantee 3.8V minimum, you would need four cells.

A 9V battery would work, that would still give at least 6V at the end of it's life.

As Diver says though, you need to allow for the permanently ON PIR module and the current that takes.
The data says "<1mA" so allow 1mA permanent load, and work out the possible battery life from that before choosing a power source.

A good named brand alkaline PP3 / 1604A battery has a capacity around 550mAH.
That means the PIR would run for 550 Hours, not allowing for alarm / LED triggers and the power that takes.

That means a battery life of just over three weeks.

In comparison, a high quality 2032 lithium cell plus a boost converter (and not allowing for the power losses in that) would be roughly equivalent to a 6V 100mAH battery, so a maximum life of about four days.

ps.
Re. patents:
To be valid (even if issued), a patent must contain new and original work, and be more than an incremental change to an existing concept that a normal expert in whatever field could reasonably make.

Any "prior art" that does the same or a near enough similar thing - either real items or even concepts out of novels or SciFi - means the patent is not an original invention and can be invalidated.
There are two separate risks:
  1. The patent is rejected and never issued because of "prior art".
  2. The patent is issued and subsequently adjudicated to be invalid after a long and protracted legal battle.
Either one of these circumstances may be devastating to your financial security.

The solution is to build a few and sell a few then quickly exit the market when the copycats show up; then move on to the next "new new" thing. Very few people ever get rich from a single idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back