Shift Register Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I'm doing a 8x8 LED matrix design.Rows driving via B562 & columns driving directly from 74HC595 (via a resistor). Doing a 1/8th scanning method.

The problem is only NXP brand 74HC595 is surviving & cheap Aliexpress SN74HC595 ICs are heating (only working few minutes) & getting stuck & heating too much.

How to avoid above situation?

Attachments

• 595 Mux.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 199
Each pin CANNOT sink 240mA.. There is no current limit so your LED's are maxing out.. Normally we use a ULN2003a or similar to drive the LEDS BUT!! you still need a resistor....

Even a 270 ohm will get too hot.... Each led will consume 30mA (ish) 8 of them.. 240mA through a 270 ohm resistor.... No wonder there's a bit of heat..

Hi I used 27R resistors.Not 270R.

Which is even worse, the shift register isn't a high power driver, you can't stick that much current through it.

As already mentioned, you normally use a ULN2003a or similar to drive the LED's

Nice parts. But the ~2.3 V saturation voltage on the MIC5891 might make it a no-go for use on 5V rails.

But the ~2.3 V saturation voltage on the MIC5891 might make it a no-go for use on 5V rails.
We use them for 24V system outputs, I'd not consider them for as low as 45V.

The 5841 outputs are fine for things at 5V etc., no different to any other general darlington driver output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…