Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SFP breakout to another SFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

Hey all I am just wondering before I do this if its possible to connect 2 SFP sockets to each other in order to bring in the fiber connection and then take it back out the same way?
BaLGd.jpg

So in the image above, Pin 1 would hook up to Pin 1 on the second SFP socket. Pin 2 would hook up to Pin 2 on the second SFP socket, etc etc...

I'm doing this so that I can bring in the SFP connection into a server case and then once inside the server case I need to hook it up to a motherboard inside there that has the SFP connection.

Wow, talk about doing it the hard way. For sure you cannot connect same pins together and expect it to work. If this were at least a little bit possible, then you would have to connect RX to TX and vice versa and connect a power supply, and skip all the status pins. However I am not sure if the sfp module needs some special form of control or is just a dumb receiver and transmitter.

Moreover, isn´t this why an optical patch panel is usually used, instead of a bunch of botched sfp modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back