Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbear

servo-main.jpg
servo1.jpg

Inexpensive toys usually dont use standard servos, they make their own servo with a standard brushed motor, with 4 leads.
I need to replace the transmitter receiver, and I would like to use a standard 3 wire servo, but I cant because a really complicated steering geared mechanism.
Can I somehow interface a standard servo output to this weird 4wire servo??

Attachments

• servo2.jpg
    servo2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
You would need to know the voltage/current/protocol used by the 4-wire system in order to design an interface.
Could you link a standard servo to the steering gear mechanically instead?

all I can say is that the system was originally 6vdc. the motor that runs this servo is just a small brushed one.
it seems as tho this is actually just a switching arrangement to stop the motor after travel, in either direction, more than a actual servo.
I cant actually add a servo to this, the gear that runs it wont fit on the drive shaft.

I see the output gear has a horn with a push-rod attached. What does the hex shaft on the previous gear drive?

The hex drives a whole arrangement that animates a character on the top. If it was just the rod, no problem, but the hex is the stumbling point. The huge amount of gears ensures that the figure moves slowly.
I could just drive the existing motor with a esc , but then, I wouldnt have the limit switching to make certain the the figure doesnt twist too far

Do the contacts on the end gear provide a motor reversing function as well as limit-switching?

I belive they do, but Id be happy with simply limit switching, but to drive it from a standard servo output, is the difficulty

So how is rotation direction presently commanded/controlled?

It originally had a remote controlled receiver, that someone was nice enough to remove, so I have no reference.

Can you trace the motor drive/switching/supply circuit and show us?
To use a standard servo signal would likely require converting that to clockwise/anti-clockwise/neutral commands. With limit-switching as well, it's looking like a job for a MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back