Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial to parallel data conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone suggest me a circuit or a device the data coming out from serial port into parallel mode that is if a am sending 10001110 from serial data i want to convert them into a data from different pins.i searched google and found that max1661 can be used for this.is that the one or any other component is there.
Can anyone suggest me a method to convert like this for a FPGA in VHDL.i mean i need the command of the type of coding to be folloewd to do this

Historically you could buy UART IC's that did it (with a reasonable amount of extra circuitry) - but this is now the 21st Century, a simple and cheap micro-controller can do it with hardly any extra components at all.

This is a classical problem in digital electronics. Generally, we use a shift register and a latch.

srimannarayanakarthik said:
Can anyone suggest me a circuit or a device the data coming out from serial port into parallel mode that is if a am sending 10001110 from serial data i want to convert them into a data from different pins.i searched google and found that max1661 can be used for this.is that the one or any other component is there.
Can anyone suggest me a method to convert like this for a FPGA in VHDL.i mean i need the command of the type of coding to be folloewd to do this

what do you think of this:
**broken link removed**

Maxim has a good choice of serial to parallel and viceversa, commonly used in telemetry, RF controllers used by Water authorities and oil pipelines.
The idea is that you need low power comsumption and simple devices to activaate a device in a remote site (serial), but the controller manages heavy data traffic as well (parallel)

redserpentone

Can't help you with VHDL, and I've no idea what it's capable of, but serial reception is simple to do on any micro-controller, and just requires reading an input and accurate time delays:

1) Wait for input to go active (beginning of start bit).
2) Delay half a bit time (52uS for 9600 baud), to locate centre of bits.
3) Check if still start bit, else abort.
4) Delay one bit time (105uS for 9600 baud).
5) Read bit and shift into a register.
6) Repeat back to 4) to read all 8 bits.
7) Delay one bit time.
8) Check and confirm it's a stop bit.

That's all it takes, the low level instructions available in PIC assembler make it very easy to do, and requires very little code.

Hi, many many many ways to do this, depends on the serial format. Are we talking startbit/8databits/stopbit? synhcronous? Because 'serial to parallel' is pretty vague. All the suggestions here are pretty good, but of course, if you haven't started using microcontrollers then its probably not an option.

My VHDL (or verilog) is not up to scratch really (only used ABEL/schematic entry) but google has hundreds of examples, check Xilinx/LAttice/Altera websites.

If its synchronous serial..then a basic CMOS/TTL shift register is fine, like the 4094 or something. I'm afriad without more info I can't be more helpful.

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back