Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

serial terminal software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Can anyone reccomend a serial terminal emulator.
I've been using putty, however even though my usb serial port will go down to 75 baud it doesnt work with putty at those speeds.
I'd also like to be able to set the number of data bits, stop bits etc.

Hi doc,
I'm unfamiliar with your 'putty', and I dont want to teach you how to suck eggs.
I think 75 baud uses 1.5 stop bits and at 110 baud there are two stop bits. Is your putty always assuming 1 stop bit. As well, is putty assuming the MSB is a parity bit?
I did bit of searching and found the reference to the VT100. from memory (mine), the VT100 operated over the full speed range 75 to 9600 baud and set the correct number of bits based on the selected speed.
All my first intro to computing stuff was pdp8 based with teletypes and paper tape readers and punches. I wonder how many on this site even know of DEC, let alone remember it.
Hope this helps.

I have a few that I use...Putty for one...Pic Basic Pro, might be a free version...even if you dont use it for programming they have a serial terminal...Basic stamp has one its free...same issue as the Pic Basic Pro, but the serial terminals are fine to use...docklite is another...they have a free version too

I quite like Advanced serial port terminal made by Eltima software. It seems to be possible to run with arbitrary baud rates.

@rumphy

DEC. Knew it well. The PDP-8 and PDP-11 and DEC10 as well. Got intimate with the PDP-8, 11/2 and 11/23.

Vt100 50 to 19200 including 134.5 for the IBM Selectric.

Gees KISS yr making me all gooey with this old time stuff.
started with the pdp8/L running a genrad 1680 bridge and the ubiquitous TTY. System ran from 1971 till 1996. Upgraded to 330 baud DCEwriter soon after everyone in the test room got deaf from the TTY. Got a second hand pdp8/F in 1985 with new design of switching matrix and interfaced a HP paper tape reader to speed up program loading.
Did a food factory with pdp11/23 and those old DEC2.5 Mb cartridge drives. That system had 1024 input channels and 550 outputs. Just gotta love the old PDP8 with what the 'modernists' would call, 'reduced instruction set'.
Coming up to 72 this year. what a drag!

I hadnt considered putty might be assuming certain configuations.
OK I'll have a look at some of those.

I use tera term, it also installs a time the computer has been on thingy! I had trouble getting very very high baud rates, but my problem turned out to be limits of the max 232 chip! apparently it has a fairly low max speed, before it rolls over and plays dead

I wonder how many on this site even know of DEC, let alone remember it.
I was close and intimate with a dual PDP11/60 for a few years!

JimB

A mate of mine had a pdp in his garage, long after they were dinasaurs of course.

Tera term seems alright, turns out the issues are with my rs232 to usb converter, it has odd rates when you get down to very low ones.

My prolific rs232 to usb seems a lot better though, th eonly thing with the prolific is its true rs232 and therefore requires a max232 on the o/p of the pic, my 99p china special rs232 to usb accepts rs485 so you can comnnect it direct to the pic.

After a discussion with 'the customer' turns out that instead of 4 aquisition units theres now only going to be 2 and them in the same box, theres no need to aquire data from all 4 traction motors when you want to know energy consumed, so now we are going to have one on the drive controller and another on the brake resistors, I have a couple of clip on current transformers with 0-10v o/p, that makes things way easier.

On field trials tomoz I'm going to try various rs232 baud rates, and I'm also going to take a rig that uses a couple of 433 mc's rf modules, as I found out they use pmr446 on board, so if that works there must not be that much noise at uhf and rf modules might so the trick, no wires at all then, I've dug up some coding I did years ago to genrate rtty tones, just playing around with mmtty now.

I remember Fred Dibnah running over one with his steam roller, dec paid him to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back