Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial terminal non admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I know this isnt strictly a computing forum.
I have a works pc where everything is disabled, I cant install anything.
And I need a serial terminal.
What software is there if any that I can use? my Pc is Ms W10

I use that on my personal machine, but it is an admin install so wont work for me.

Have you just tried copying the entire directory from a computer where it is installed and see if it can run on a USB stick? (I just tried RealTerm doesn't seem to be able to, but what about the other ones?)

Putty works don't no if you can open comport but it works as normal user on my windows 10 computer.

Windows 10 can be locked down to a very limited user acc.

I cannot install putty, but I'll try and run it off a pendrive.

You don't have to install it just unzip it and click and run it

Corporate IT services can be a bit like this:

upload_2017-12-6_19-47-6.jpeg

They were where I used to work.

JimB

It's easy to make fun of IT departments. I have done that myself with respect to ineptness.

However, it is not hard to envision certain jobs and systems where individual installations are not allowed, including thumbdrives. If that is the rule, I would follow it. If you need specific software for your job, I would request it or ask whether you can use a personal laptop (not connected to the network) in addition to the company supplied PC.

The cost to a company for a security breach in the US reached an average of $5.9 million is 2014 and the price tag for the recent Equifax breach has yet to be determined. It is likely to be a lot more now that class action attorneys are involved.

John

I've completely given up asking for anything, waste of time.
If I need something I organize it.
The only reason I'm able to post here from work is because I'm piggy backed onto the router for the security cam system that I happened to put in.

I'm going to second the above - Putty works for me on a locked down machine with no "installation" as such.
Of course, if they've restricted what you can actually execute, or made you unable to open the comm port (no idea if that's possible) that it won't help...

Looks like I've had it, usb pen drives are also turned off.
The only thing I can think of is to burn it into a eeprom and read it in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back