Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial ICD2 Clone PCB available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've got a question... I see everyone in Forums all over the place publishing these PCB files in Eagle or other formats... Is there an easy and inexpensive way to make printed circuit boards from these files? For example, can you simply send one of these PCB file to some manufacturer somewhere and get a $10 PCB from them?

Regards, Mike

i wish i could use the inkjet output to make a board , from what i just printed out..
Mike , basically you are asking , if someone could make you a board cheaper than that guy you were eMailing...probably not.. :(
for 11 bucks put me down for one..
EDIT::

Mike said:
Ok, I've got a question... I see everyone in Forums all over the place publishing these PCB files in Eagle or other formats... Is there an easy and inexpensive way to make printed circuit boards from these files? For example, can you simply send one of these PCB file to some manufacturer somewhere and get a $10 PCB from them?

Regards, Mike

https://www.expresspcb.com/ does exactly what you're saying, although not for ten bucks, and unfortunately they require you to use their proprietary software and formats.

On the upside, you get 2 decent PCB and SCH programs for free!

I particularly like their MiniBoard package : they will produce three 3.8"x2.5" of your own design for $51.

Has anyone here tried their service, is it worth the $?

Hi Joel,

Yes, I've used their miniboard service several times now and the quality of the boards is great... It's about $20 per board, but, NO solder mask or silkscreen... Here's a picture of my very first PCB design...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• proto_28-40_board_115.jpg
    proto_28-40_board_115.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,209
If you plan to make a new board, I'd recommend the newer version of the Lothar Stolz design with the LM358 chip. It uses fewer parts and easier to artwork.

I just built one initially using the older design with discrete transistors and then switched to the newer design. I found the newer design simpler to make and generates a more accurate MCLR VPP voltage.

Since I had a few IRF530 MOSFETs lying around, I added the VDD switching circuit using the spare half of the LM358.

Attachments

• icd2.gif
    icd2.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,335
On my setup, MPLAB version 7.10 insists on using the USB interface. However, MPLAB version 6.60 remembers the serial port setting on the next reload of the program.

motion said:
On my setup, MPLAB version 7.10 insists on using the USB interface. However, MPLAB version 6.60 remembers the serial port setting on the next reload of the program.
MPLAB 7.20 is a good version, it remebers selected port, try it out!

Joel Rainville said:
man_on_fire said:
I found a ICD2 clone with free pcb avaliable here and very small pcb
but it is serial interface.
ICD2 clone

Nice!

I wonder if it'll work with MPLAB 7.20... The author suggests that it doesn't work with post 6.60 versions, but that he hasn't tested... Anyone?
Some ICD2 clones doesn't work with MPLAB > 6.60 because they are using non-standart bootloader! (Due to 16F876A used), so just use non-A version of 16F876 and you are safe. I know because I use my ICD2 clone with 7.20 with no problems !

Some ICD2 clones doesn't work with MPLAB > 6.60 because they are using non-standart bootloader! (Due to 16F876A used)

Huh? I'm using '876A with modified bootloader in my Serial ICD2 Clone Jay and "no problems" with MPLAB 7.11 so far...

Regards, Mike

<added>

I wonder if ICD2 clones having problems with MPLAB versions > 6.60 simply don't realize they have to setup the Serial Port in <Programmer> and <Settings> menu each time for the programmer in MPLAB version 7.00 and 7.11 ????

If MPLAB 7.20 "remembers" the ICD2 Serial Port setting, I will be very happy... I've downloaded 7.20 but have not installed it yet...

Hi Joel,

Yes, my home-made Serial ICD2 is using Lothar Stolz' design (transistor version) with minor modifications -- I installed a 78M08 regulator to provide the regulated 13 volt VPP voltage and I added a MOSFET high-side switch driven by RA4 to allow ICD2 control of Target VDD... There's a photo' of my home made ICD2 in message #157 of the Guestbook on Lothar's site...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• target_vdd_switch_final_167.jpg
    target_vdd_switch_final_167.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • icd2_bootloader_a.txt
    3 KB · Views: 346
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back