Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tintincute

hi

we are designing a kind of watch which can control like turning the TV off & on, Opening & closing the blinds, regulating the heater & dimming the light.
now our problem is, we need a big memory. the Chips we're using can hold only up to 128kB & 6 kB RAM. We need more memory for these functions. Now we're thinking of getting another board for an additional serial flash. Not sure really if this would be a good answer. Does anyone know where can I get info about serial flash? I've looked up Google & maybe somebody would like to share some documents too.

thanks

hi

we are designing a kind of watch which can control like turning the TV off & on, Opening & closing the blinds, regulating the heater & dimming the light.
now our problem is, we need a big memory. the Chips we're using can hold only up to 128kB & 6 kB RAM. We need more memory for these functions. Now we're thinking of getting another board for an additional serial flash. Not sure really if this would be a good answer. Does anyone know where can I get info about serial flash? I've looked up Google & maybe somebody would like to share some documents too.

thanks
hi,
Look at the 24C1024, 1Mbit and 24C512 0.5MBit I2C EEPROMS.

Why on earth do you need so much memory? What are you doing, shouting the command and using voice recognition on the other end?

Assuming you are using IR (infra red) then this should be easily doable in 2k of memory.

Mike.

hey thanks ericgibbs (-; i will look at it.

@Pommie: yeah because the drivers display's quite big & the chip we use also need a big memory. and at the end we would like to integrate at least 5 conditions which the watch can offer. (including the icons)

hi

the Chips we're using can hold only up to 128kB & 6 kB RAM.

thanks

This is the same ROM and twice the RAM of an 18F8720!
It is less RAM than an LPC2138...
What micro controller are you using?

If you really do need serial ram, look up a company called Ramatron....

or use a Phillips LPC2138.... 512k ROM and 32k RAM

but Pommie has a point here... You should indeed be able to do this within a couple of kilobytes....

Are you running some kind of embedded OS which needs so much ROM? (BLOAT-ware)

Last edited:
Eric,
Like most times, the OP hasn't given enough details of the project.
I couldn't agree more... In fact now I'm curious...

He already has HUGE memory. :D and wants more!

hi again, yes we are kind of using an embedded systems. the chip CC2430 that's the one we're using.
i have another idea, i was thinking of using micro SD Card but not really sure how this works. does anyone has any idea?

thanks

hi again just would like to ask if it possible to use a micro SD Card? what do you think of this idea?

You haven't given us any idea about what you are doing with the memory. It would help people help you, to give some details about what you want to do...

SD cards are not fast, like f-ram, but if what you are doing is logging information, that, or the EEPROM Eric mentioned would work well.

I see your SoC is very new (Not yet released?) and has an RF transceiver on board.

There is someone working on implementing an SD card with a PIC micro on this board right now:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/sd-card-project.41331/

and futz has a project on his site:
**broken link removed**
which also uses a PIC, rather than an 8051 core like you have.

I'm sure you will find projects on the web connecting an SD card to an 8051, just google a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back