Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Queston flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudff7

Many people have told me that flash memory (SSD, microSD card, USB flash drive) has a data retention limit, is it not possible to always keep the data saved in the flash?

after certain numbers of years of storage are data erased from the flash?

Flash retention is around 10 years... However! That's the manufacturers "Get out of trouble" clause... If you keep writing to the drive data retention will drop as the cells wear out...

I wouldn't imagine the data would disappear at 10 years. The electronics that support the flash memory chip may go south...

We used NV batteries on our older style systems... The batteries are supposed to last 10 years ( weird eh!! 10 years again ) but they are still going 20+ years later.. We have changed some, but most are still out there. Some systems are now 30 years old..

I reckon flash will last (untouched) for quite some time..

The flash memory After 10 years of no use stored, the data written to the flash memory are automatically deleted?

The flash memory After 10 years of no use stored, the data written to the flash memory are automatically deleted?
No! Data will still be there, the manufacturer said it "May" not be intact..

If I buy a flash memory (SSD, microSD card, USB flash drive) write files to the flash of these devices and store at a temperature between 30-36C after 10 years will the data be erased?

Maybe, maybe not. Ask the memory manufacturer.

No matter how you store the data some of it will get lost.
In the case of flash the entire file will not get lost but some bits will get lost.

If you store two copies of the data in two different memories, most likely the bad spots will not be the same for each IC. So it is very possible that two (or more) copies of the data will allow you to get the lost data back.
1598230877827.png

Yes that is my home work. You can see I dropped it on the way to school. Lost the punch line to the story.

Enough of this memory data retention nonsense!
You are just wasting everyones time by trolling.
Be gone with you, - BANNED.

JimB one of the Moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back