Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Communication Interrupt in PIC Basic Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaccabee

Hello
Im buliding a robot which has an option to be controlled from the PC to which it is serially connected.
My Aim is like this
The robo should follw a default routine normally, but whenever a interrupt is send from the PC..It should jump to another subroutine which gives the control to the PC user..
Im using PIC Basic Pro v 2.46 and PIC16F877A .
Can any one tell me how to implement this "Interrupt from PC Jump to another sub routine""part using PIC basic or thru anyother means?????

Interfacing with your PC is very easy with Basic, download Microsoft Visual Basic Express (Free download) and grab a DS275 (a single chip RS232 - TTL)

**broken link removed**

To make your DB9 connector proto-PCB friendly, cut off the unrequired Pins, eg

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

And either buy, or build your DB9 lead;
**broken link removed****broken link removed**
The connector shown above is a solderless clamp type, very easy to use.

Then you will have to learn the basics of setting up your COM port, and how to send data either way.

**broken link removed** may help you to do that, included are the Visual Basic files, and the Proton PIC Basic file.

Last edited:
It never dawned on me that the entire bottom row isn't needed for basic serial transmission. I didn't realize until I tried to look it up either that there is no such thing as a DB-9 connector =) Apparently it's DB-25 The 9 pin version is DE-9 not DB-9

I thought they were all called DBxx?

If you google "db9 connector" - 812,000 hits
"de9 connector" 13000 hits.

Although I did find this;

DB-9 is a common misnomer for the DE-9. (A true DB-9 connector would have 9 pins in a connector the shape and size of a DB-25, the other 16 pins would just be missing.)

Just goes to show you what 'convention' can do =) More than 3/4's of a million more hits on google for an incorrect term => I think I have actually seens a DB-9 (as you described it) though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back