Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Scooter Blue Leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

payguns

Hi everyone, newbie here looking for a little advice on a project my lads undertaking on his scoot.
like most lads of his age wanting to mod his bike we decided to fit a set of cold cathode neon tubes.. well that was a waste of time and money as they just blew out! as did a single which was recommended on ebay yeah right.
Now i have found a set of xmas lights that run off 4.5 volts with a , i think , 57 ohm resistor in blue with green, burgundy?, gold, gold banding soldered at switch to + pole.
question is , is it possible to run the 20 blue leds attached to the battery in series but im not sure what resistor i would need.
scoot gives out approx 12-14 volts.
hope someone can help as lad hasnt stopped pestering me lol:(
many thanks

Paul

A blue LED has a typical voltage drop of about 3V. Thus if they run off of 4.5V, the must be in parallel with a resistor in series with each bulb. (For 20mA nominal current and a 57Ω series resistor, this would indicate the voltage drop of each LED is 3.36V.)

You can only put three of them in series (with a suitable current limit resistor) for a 12-14V supply. You could put seven sets in parallel: Six sets of three in series plus one set of two in series to get 20 LEDs total.

For 20mA typical operating current you would need a ≈170 ohm resistor (3 each) in series with each string of three. You would need a ≈340 ohm resistor in series with the one string of two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back