Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

schematics information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic Pixel

Hi... I found this board when i was looking for some sort of tutorial on reading schematics and converting them into physical information about the components. All i've been able to find is simple stuff like "the wires connect if there's a dot there, but no dot means no connection..." and symbols for basic components. Specifically, I'd like to know: the symbol for a diode is a triangle with a line like so:

-->|---

I have a diode and i'm assuming that the end of the diode with the printed ring around it is the end with the | part on the schematic?

Also, what's with Vcc? is that just like the positive inverse of ground? i'm just supposed to connect all the 'Vcc" parts together, like all the ground parts get connected?

TL;DR:is there any central tutorial which explains this stuff? all the ones i can find are really basic "a squiggle means a resistor" stuff which is not what i need.

Thanks.[/b]

I have a diode and i'm assuming that the end of the diode with the printed ring around it is the end with the | part on the schematic?

Yup......the easiset way to remember is the > is the Anode think of it as a letter A, the cathode or banded end in the physical sense would be remembered by the >| and looks like a letter K in reverse........

Also, what's with Vcc? is that just like the positive inverse of ground? i'm just supposed to connect all the 'Vcc" parts together, like all the ground parts get connected?

Vcc usually signifies the positive supply line and can be regarded as a common point wrt the gnd or Negative side of the supply........Beware tho' there are circuits that use a 3 rail supply.......+ve, 0V and -ve...
Found in circuits using op amps,(for instance) unless the op amps are biassed into using a single supply.

HTH Chip

ok, that helps, thanks.

so i'm to just connect all the points on the schematic that say 'vcc' together? because it has it's own power supply, i plug in a 120 V line and there's a 12V transformer and a 5V regulator in there.

for reference, I'm building the christmas light controller found at
www.luminus.cx... or at least it WAS, but the DNS is really flaky and it may have just expired, but it was there like yesterday. or maybe I just have a mirrored copy, yeah, that's the ticket. schematic is found at

**broken link removed**

I see it uses a Pic microcontroller. This device has to have a program written into it before use. I trust you realise that.

yeah, i know, i'm gonna build another little thing i found in order to program the PIC. I just have the parts for this one now so i'm building it first. I appreciate your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back