Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

scavangers handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneuver

Have you ever re-used a part from some old piece of hardware? I know I have..
So our fellow nerds at Team Hack-a-day have started at wiki about scavenging parts. The idea is quite simple and brilliant: If you have ever taken apart an electronic product, write up the part list in this online reference list. You dont write up every component, just the parts that are easily reuseable, like LEDs, motors, switches, potmeters and other doodads.. So, the nest time you need a specific part, all you have to do is go to the Scavenger's Handbook and enter the wanted part in the search window, and before you know it you'll have a list of possible sources. Type in motor and tape recorders, toys, cell phones etc will come up as plausible products to start deconstructing. If you type in LCD display, calculators and cell phones will propably show up. Then it's just a matter of going out to the shed/guest room/garage and start looking for any of the products mentioned by the wiki..

the adress is
http://www.teamhackaday.com/handbook

I skimmed over that site and are you trying to say that it's basically an on-line spreadsheet for a hobbyist to document their inventory of components/parts? Or is it nothing more than an inventory of electronic items that "may" contain a specific part needed? The whole thing seems weird to me. Why not just create a spreadsheet via Ecel or similar pgm? The added benefit would also allow for sorting or listing parts in a number of methods as the software provides.

They forgot the most important thing, A microwave. Switches Galore, a nice VFD display, magnets, A nice HV diode, a HV Cap and a nice Fan.

The site is kind of blah. I am sure that once the database gets bigger, then it will be cooler. Until then, it is just ok. :)

I agree, that it's not all that. But I like the idea! If new items keep coming in at the rate it has so far, this base will be awesome by next summer.

As to why not do it in a spreadsheet:This is online with milions of potensial contributors. If I'd made it on my computer using Excel, it would only contain the thing I already know, and not any new information...

My fellow spelling-grammer hackers will have a ball with this site.

Just a few spelling errors:

emitts
reciever
potensiometer
pfysically
membrans (also mis-used as a possessive)

Most of these are simply typos, but the author should have recognized them before hitting the send button. Nes Paz?

So, I speak French with a hillbilly accent, okay?

Besides, think of all the time and effort I save by not typing in all those bothersome extra letters. You knew what I meant, n'est-ce pas?

Chastened,
AllVol

Last edited:
A hillbilly Frenchie? Those back porch bull frogs must sound like a real hoot down there! Come to think of it, I did spend time in Murphreesboro chatting with a real hillbilly named Mr. Arnold who had half of his teeth missing! Then it was on to Chattanooga and Nashville. Mr. Arnold was a pleasant old man, I admit despite his worn and dirty clothes and that shack for a home. His outward appearance didn't do any justice to his fine southern hospitality.

Sorry, Hi Tech, I wouldn't know much about those bullfrogs. Here in the mountains, water doesn't stand still long enough for frogs to gather. That's why bullfrogs and your Mr. Arnold tend to habitate the flatter ground of the rest of the state, while we hillbillies try to hang on to the mountainsides.

What's with the Eddie Cantor charactiture? Are you taking sides? (That's awful. I should not have said that. Lord, forgive me.)

AllVol

SAorry I don't see the point. If you don't know what parts are likely to be recoverable from what equiptment then this is only a site for newbies. (Not the forum). E.g. if you look up led then you will find most items contain one.

Sorry but I just don't see the use. Good luck anyway.

Rick

AllVol said:
What's with the Eddie Cantor charactiture? Are you taking sides? (That's awful. I should not have said that. Lord, forgive me.)

AllVol
You talking to me about Eddie C.? If so, I dunno what you are referring to?

maneuver said:
Have you ever re-used a part from some old piece of hardware? I know I have..
So our fellow nerds at Team Hack-a-day have started at wiki about scavenging parts. The idea is quite simple and brilliant: If you have ever taken apart an electronic product, write up the part list in this online reference list. You dont write up every component, just the parts that are easily reuseable, like LEDs, motors, switches, potmeters and other doodads.. So, the nest time you need a specific part, all you have to do is go to the Scavenger's Handbook and enter the wanted part in the search window, and before you know it you'll have a list of possible sources. Type in motor and tape recorders, toys, cell phones etc will come up as plausible products to start deconstructing. If you type in LCD display, calculators and cell phones will propably show up. Then it's just a matter of going out to the shed/guest room/garage and start looking for any of the products mentioned by the wiki..

the adress is
http://www.teamhackaday.com/handbook
Cool site. I buy a lot of boards from the market just for scavanging. I usualy know what's the source of that board.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back