Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

samples from atmel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

Microchip always sends the samples i request. But when i request samples from atmel (avr) i don't even get a response :?

Anyone here had more luck with atmel?

guess atmel isn't that popular :lol:

a shame tough... c compilers are better

Atmel does send samples, and I've received them before from them. Just be patient, or try your sample request again. Of course, you may be better served by just buying an STK500 which comes with both an 8515 and a 2313 chip. That way you have ICs, programmer and development boartd all together. BTW, I highly recommend Bascom AVR Basic if you're not already a C or Assembler-head.

Mark

I ordered two times from ATmel....but never get any response.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would mention that I've ordered samples twice in the last six or seven weeks with no response either.

Mike

Abuse of the samples system often results in it been discontinued, sometimes in specific countries or areas, and Atmel have never had a very reliable system in the first place.

So, is there no way except buying the atmel components.
Specially, I need an ATmega8 and a ATtiny2313.

Did somebody heard about Atmel samples for educational purpose?
My local rep of atmel wrote in email:

"--- On Wed, 23/7/08, Shariff, Imran <Imran.Shariff@atmel.com> wrote:
Subject: RE: FW: What About the samples
To: paswanath@yahoo.co.in
Date: Wednesday, 23 July, 2008, 6:13 PM

Dear Mr. Paswanath,

We will provide samples but pls tone down your content of the mails, we have to follow a procedure to provide samples for educational purposes since it does not hold a business value for us.

Rgds/

Imran

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:09 PM
To: Shariff, Imran
Subject: Re: FW: What About the samples

So now, what happened to my sample order?

--- On Mon, 21/7/08, Shariff, Imran < Imran .Shariff@atmel.com> wrote:

Subject: FW: What About the samples
To: paswanath@yahoo.co.in
Date: Monday, 21 July, 2008, 2:54 PM
Dear Mr. Paswanath,
Thank you very much for your interest in Atmel Products. Pls provide me
with the following details.

Name of the company:
Project:
Application:
Volumes:
Proto Date:
Prodn Date:
End Customer:

Rgds/
Imran

-----Original Message-----
paswanath@yahoo.co.in ]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:24 PM
To: Kumar, Ganesh
Subject: What About the samples

Dear Atmel,

I ordered two samples of Atmega8 and Atmega from Atmel website about two
weeks ago.

According to the website ATmel needs three days to process every sample
order. But even after two weeks there is no any notofication about my
sample query. I heither recieved the sample nor got any emails from you.

So, can I be able to get the samples? Or is your sample process is
inactive and only for 'showing-to-others'? "

:mad::mad::mad:A damn nonsense:mad::mad:ATMEL!~!!!!!
Microchip is far better than them.
I wish atmel to die...:)

Last edited:
Will I(we,the loosers from atmel sample:)) lie with them?
I(we:)) know a lie can never be concealed. But.....
If I write from my another email account which has @dataone.in domain and people always mind it as a business mail account.
And write a fake company name, and other fake infos like ..
Name of the company:
Project:
Application:
Volumes:
Proto Date:
Prodn Date:
End Customer:etc etc

You get what you pay for... oh wait, that's not quite relevant here. Guess the freebie well is starting to dry up. Thank all those kids who came on the forum, bragging about the big box of free samples they just scammed, and asking how to program a chip, or where to get a free programmer.

You probably got placed at the bottom of the list, because of your E-mail address. Yahoo gives out free E-mail to anyone. It's a secondary, anonymous address, which many use for less reputable web activities, like cheating on their spouse. Atmel is a business, not a charity. If you ask, and you receive, that's great. Don't complain about it, you lost nothing.

I've read more about dead, fried PICs, than AVR chips. I abuse the hell out of mine, and no fatalities in almost 3 years now. Atmel isn't the only company cutting back on the charity, and I don't think it will be long before most companies do the same. Their good intentions are all over Ebay...

Are people actually complaining about having to *pay* for a product? Oh, you poor things. Next thing you know, you'll have to pay for food and gasoline, too!

Somehow I have no sympathy. Samples are a privilege and a gift, not a right.

Torben

It's normal for samples NOT to be provided unless you have a real email address, as you're just abusing the system why should you receive any?. BUY THEM!.

In general, company policies on samples vary widely. As noted Microchip is pretty easy though they have tightened it up a bit. Try getting samples out of National Semi without a "known" organization to your name. Even with a real company backing you they take a close look at your proposed project. Atmel used to be fairly easy but are tighter these days.

I think most companies have stopped giving samples to people with web addresses. In addition, some wont sent to a non-business address. Some are ok with university addresses. Some make you talk to a local field rep. Some make you beg...

I tend to just buy my chips though a fair number aren't easily available through normal distis in small quantities. Purchasing gets you the chips a lot faster.

My Atmel rep takes very good care of me. I had an STK500 that went south 2 months ago for no apparent reason, and he FedExed me a new one overnight for FREE. You take care of them, and they and they WILL take care of you.

Wishing that people and companies should die for real or imagined insults is childish and immature. Still, I guess we'll get some jobs back, if India dies tomorrow. Not that I wish that, you understand.

So, is there no way except buying the atmel components.
Specially, I need an ATmega8 and a ATtiny2313.

Did somebody heard about Atmel samples for educational purpose?
My local rep of atmel wrote in email:

:mad::mad::mad:A damn nonsense:mad::mad:ATMEL!~!!!!!
Microchip is far better than them.
I wish atmel to die...:)

What is with text speak? Is it to difficult to spell out a few extra letters? That is quite sad.

We never have trouble getting samples from our rep. But then, we are in the business of actually buying the components after evals. So there it is.

We never have trouble getting samples from our rep. But then, we are in the business of actually buying the components after evals. So there it is.
Imagine, a couple of schmucks like us actually buying parts. Watsa madder wid us?

I tried the sample system with zero response. So I left them alone. Then I contacted the local distributor if they could sell me a few devices in low quantities. No luck, although I did get a response.

So I bought a few of the low end avr's because it was a few dollars additional shipping with my order for LCD's from sure-electronics.net. But these are low end, and I have seen few projects out there for these devices. So I stick to PIC, and am going to use the Freescale mcus ( as per Elektor articles advising on the accelorometer samples ).
For Atmels' ARM mcu's I have tried ebay, and digikey, but the shipping costs are ridiculous to SA if your a student/hobbyist. There are a few local suppliers for microchip, hence it's easier to buy their mcu's.

Atmel does not need us ( in the micro volume of purchasers). Freescale & Microchip are investing goodwill to their products when they supply to students, because of the possibilities of long term payback.

Last edited:
I probably place around 2 or 3 sample orders per year with Microchip even though I could place 2 per month. I have had no problems but that may be because I also place real orders.

Mike.

Freescale didn't gave me samples. Thay want procerssing fee of 6$. it's nothing too much but really I don't have any credit card to pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back