Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running LEDs from mains power

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel2801

Hi i am building a sculpture at uni and i need to power some LEDs. Once the sculpture is finished i wont be able to access inside to change batteries. Im looking to power around 4 to 8 5v LEDs from a 240v plug and wanted to know what is the best (and safest) way to go about this. Though i'd ask before i got myself electrocuted.

thanks

Are these just small LEDs or big multi watt LEDs? If they are small, I would suggest using a wallwart transformer to power them. Post a little more about the exact LEDs you want and how you want them hooked up and we can assist better. :)

""required voltage/optimal current for these - Rev volts 5v forward 25mA""

What is the FORWARD voltage.

Hi
Rev voltage of a red LED is +_ 2.8V the current is ok, (25mA)
It is possible to run it directly from 230V 50Hz or 110 V 60 Hz .How ever it is very dangerous.

Here is a real world circuit and device I built around six years ago. ITs been plugged in and working ever sinse!
You will still have figure out your capacitor values based on the actual line voltage, frequency and number of LEDs and related voltage drop and running current you are actualy going to use.

D5-D18 are the LEDs in series.

Attachments

• Line coupled LED driver.jpg
    Line coupled LED driver.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 422
  • DCP01319.JPG
    DCP01319.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 254
I usually add a resistor in series with C1. It helps when there is high frequency noise on the power line.

The cheap KingBright LEDs are very dim. Their forward voltage is 2.5V each.

almost two days before someone noticed and commented? :(
I am giving that a D- for effort! :D
Yea I saw that shortly after I drew and posted it. It was an oops at first but I figured I'd leave it as a simple land mine for the read and build students that dont actualy think about how the circuits they pull of chat sites to finish thier homework actualy work! :p

How many do you think copy and paisted it then tried to build it for an electronics class? Just to get beat down by a simple circuit? :eek:

Hi there

To calculate the value of C 1 in your circuit is: Xc = 1/ 2pifc in ohms.
f is the frequency of your apply voltage i.e. 50hZ 230V and C is the value of the capacitor in Farads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back