Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Running a bilge water pump using the power from a wall-socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemulen

I am building a self watering garden and want to use this pump to distribute water. The pump does not have a power adaptor, only two wired + and -. it runs on 12V and 3 Amps.
My question is: How can I run this pump using the power from a standard socket in my house?
Could I connect it directly to this power adaptor? By cutting of the plug and exposing and connecting the two wires to the two from the pump. If not, how can I run it from a socket?
Pump:
**broken link removed**
Power Adaptor (EU plug, 3 amp)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC100-240V...hash=item3f600b4c93:m:mgFwrGCSryHL9BJwnUpJG8g

Thank you for helping!

You 'should' be able to - but a lot depends on the switch-on surge, when the pump will take a LOT more than it's 3A for a short time. But as long as you get the higher rated PSU you may be OK, it's really a matter of trying it and seeing what happens.

Thank you for your answer. So is it a way to avoid the switch-on surge? By PSU, do you refer to the adapter I linked? Could you recommend a PSU that you think would work? preferably Ebay or some online electronics store that ships to Europe.

I ran a bilge pump to circulate water in my wife's greenhouse. The pump has about a 5A running current and about a 15A startup surge. I used a small 12V lead-acid battery with about a 1A constant-current charger. I built a voltage cutin/cutout circuit that watches the battery voltage, turns on the pump when the battery voltage reaches ~14V, and shuts the pump off when the battery voltage drops to ~12.4V. Since the 1A charger cannot keep up with the pump, it means that the pump runs about 20% of the time, and it cycles on/off about 5 times per hour.

If you run the bilge pump continuously, it will not last long...

Great, I have bought the 8A version now. I plan to switch it on and off with a time controlled outlet, so it runs for a couple of minutes each day. I guess this wouldn't wear out the pump.

Great, I have bought the 8A version now. I plan to switch it on and off with a time controlled outlet, so it runs for a couple of minutes each day. I guess this wouldn't wear out the pump.
As long as the pump has a supply of water to pump. You don't want to run the pump dry or it will be short lived.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back