Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rude Response = Wasted Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
HarveyH42 said:
Sure some posts are annoying, but hardly detrimental to the forum, and ignored usually disappear on their own.
I think the worst part is that the real time wasters are never likely to learn from Hero's "canned" responses. So while his intensions may be honourable, it's probably not going to teach them a lesson and they probably are going to move on and waste someone elses time.

My real worry is the ones who get it in the neck because they're new to the forum, perhaps don't speak completely fluent English (or like my friend aren't very good at putting it down in writing), and their intensions are misread. Now you might suggest that miscarriages of justice, if you want to call them that, don't happen very often. Here's a couple from within the last few days alone;

Hero999 said:
I admit that in this case my do your own work post was not needed, although at the time of posting it I didn't know that they had no intention of cheating.
The guy could well have thought "stuff you lot" and gone elsewhere, couldn't he.

And this one;

Hero999 said:
How was my response negative?

The only negitive comment my post contained was a reprimand for posting the same thread three sodding times so he bloodywell deserved the negative comment!
Then, when informed that the newbie had tripple posted accidentally due to a browser crash,

Hero999 said:
Oh I didn't notice his reply!
The only point I'm trying to make here is that the ones you're hoping to educate, can't be educated. But the ones who get it in the neck when they don't deserve it, are probably going to feel quite annoyed and leave. No reason to stick around and contribute to the forum if they're going to be treated like that.

I think your decision to review the canned responses is probably a good one, Hero. Your contributions to the forum in terms of Electronics related advice are clearly not in question, that can be seen from the clear and well thought out responses you regularly give and the fact that other forum members have shown their appreciation for your posts by voting for them. It just seems a shame to me for you to take the sheen off that by accidentally being rude to someone who didn't deserve it, and that's why I think you've made the right decision. We'll see how it pans out!

Brian

Hero999 said:
Don't worry, I won't be leaving this forum, you're not worth it!

I think I'd be quite right in saying nobody wants you to leave, that was never the issue and you're obviously an asset to the forum in terms of Electronics knowledge-base. Personally I'm not demanding that you stop your canned responses either. Like I said, dip your bread.

The whole point of this was to try and put the point across that maybe your canned responses sometimes get shot in the wrong direction, and perhaps that's not a good thing. Whether you agree, or not, is up to you. But for God's sake don't leave over it! :)

Brian

I do admit I have probably over-used the canned responses bit recently and I will try to think more before I consider posting them.

I have no intention of leaving, I was just a bit annoyed HarveyH42 but he isn't a moderator so it doesn't matter.

That's beyond a bit annoyed. That's something you should probably bring up with a therapist.

Hi 3v0,

I agree, its as simple as that!.
Just ask them to post what they have done so far on the project, I have noticed quiet a number never respond.

The OP's that pi** me are the one's that say, " I am designing a xyz, please send all the drawings and the program
so that I can complete my design by tomorrow and submit it to my tutor for marking"

Or words to that effect.

I just click the 'back' button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back