Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RTD Vs Thermocouple

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohadne

Hi,
I wanted to know how does RTD (Resistance Temptature Detector) works? and how Thermocouple works?

and what is the difference between these two temp sensors?

Thanks,
Ohad.

THermocouple- very high temperatures possible, relative temperature measurement only between two points, cheaper, more durable

RTD- more expensive, absolute temperature measurement, the most stable, the most accurate, linear (if you use the right material of course)

Last edited:
Thermocouple utilizes Seebeck effect that says the dissimilar metals will product a small voltage proportional to temperature.

A RTD is a wound resistance wire (usually platinum) that changes resistance with temperature.

Lefty

Last edited:
Hi Leftyretro,

yes i read about seeback effect, but i don't understand what happens to the metals when the temp is going up or down.
i mean to the current carriers (or electrical energy), are their number changed due to changes in temp?
and that is the reason for voltage that is created between the two junctions?

Thanks for your help.

THermocouple- very high temperatures possible, relative temperature measurement only between two points, cheaper, more durable

RTD- more expensive, absolute temperature measurement, the most stable, the most accurate, linear (if you use the right material of course)

thanks for the info!

Hi Leftyretro,

yes i read about seeback effect, but i don't understand what happens to the metals when the temp is going up or down.
i mean to the current carriers (or electrical energy), are their number changed due to changes in temp?
and that is the reason for voltage that is created between the two junctions?

Thanks for your help.

You would have to research for the physics involved, much more in depth then can be put here. Lots on the Internet:

Thermoelectric effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/05/z021-032.pdf

Last edited:
Hi All,

What does it mean when is written on electical device's specification the following:

Isolation Voltage: 3000V

Thanks.
Ohad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back