RS232 to USB converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

I have two components which want to connect to each other.

The first is a combined multimeter with integrated oscilloscope (brand Unitrend) and the second one is a fully functional Toshiba Libretto CT50 palm top with windows 98 installed.

The palm top has no USB interface but is very small (taking up little space on the workbench) with a display size of 10" diagonally, which I could use to display the oscilloscope with higher resolution than that provided by the LCD-screen in the Unitrend multimeter.

The Libretto has a full functioning (bidirectional) serial port which I used to program SPS devices while laptops generally fail since their serial port doesn't allow handshaking operations.

I found a chip which might suit the needs, the FT8U232AM (Future Technology Devices Intl.).

Will this work for my application? (Data sheet attached)

Boncuk

Attachments

• FT8U232AM.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
If the scope only has USB then it won't work. That chip is designed to connect to a host, not a device.

Mike.

I'm now confused. I found the Libretto and according to that page it doesn't have RS232 but does have USB. Is yours an older version or something?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

it's a Libretto 50CT including a docking station. The bare device doesn't have any external connector except for a card connector for CD-ROM or floppy drives.

The docking station has a serial port, a 15pin high density video connector, a parallel port and two PS2 connectors to connect external mouse and keypad.

Connectors from left to right: mouse, parallel port, video connector, keyboard connector, serial port.

As already stated, the serial port is capable of handshaking.

It must be a quite old model since it was optimized for windows95, but works with windows98 like a charm.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• LIBRETTO-FRONT.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 181
  • DOCKING-STATION.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DOCKING-REAR.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 162
  • MOUNTED-UNIT.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 163
  • RUNNING.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Maybe something like this will help:
Link
You can find it in any computer shop or service. Also they come with most of mouses and keyboards and a lot of people dont use it, they use USB.

I have mouse with USB connector and with this adapter It was connected to PS2 port.
Same is with keyboard.
Maybe it will work?
You dont need another keyboard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…