Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary Encoders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

savage

Hi,

Maybe someone here as a few suggestions as a possible component to use, but I am looking for PCB Mounted (preferably surface mount) rotary encoders, that has dual poles... Basically I want a outer, and a inner shaft operating independently of each other for a type of a counter. Naturally this is then all tied to a PIC or AVR for processing and the likes...

Went thru Digikey and some googling, but I haven't really found anything on the SMT side, a few on the PCB side, but none that has dual poles :( Does it exist? It really needs to be small, in some instances I need 4 of these encoders next to each other within approximately 1.5"

ty..
Chris.

savage said:
Hi,

Maybe someone here as a few suggestions as a possible component to use, but I am looking for PCB Mounted (preferably surface mount) rotary encoders, that has dual poles... Basically I want a outer, and a inner shaft operating independently of each other for a type of a counter. Naturally this is then all tied to a PIC or AVR for processing and the likes...

Went thru Digikey and some googling, but I haven't really found anything on the SMT side, a few on the PCB side, but none that has dual poles :( Does it exist? It really needs to be small, in some instances I need 4 of these encoders next to each other within approximately 1.5"

ty..
Chris.

Hi Chris;

I've never seen a dual concentric dual rotary encoder before and I've been checking out E-bay for some time for cheap encoders for experimentation.

One might be able to build such a component using a dual concentric pot for the shaft assembly and replaceing the resistance elements with slotted disks and optical components, not an easy task probably.

I'm sure some encoder firm could custorm build something but at very high costs for sure.

hi,
I have used many types of encoders, never seen a concentric type.

IF one did exist, what specification would you require?

Tell us about the application, someone may have an alternative idea.

there are encoders witha push switch -- total of 5 pins. By pressing the shaft the switch makes contact but not dual encoders like Stereo pots.

mvs sarma said:
there are encoders witha push switch -- total of 5 pins. By pressing the shaft the switch makes contact but not dual encoders like Stereo pots.

You may use an encoder with switch and 2 (or 3) leds to indicate the current state, each time you press the switch you toggle the encoder's function (and turn on/off the leds accordingly)

Eg: "Left" ==> "Right" ==> "Both" ==> "left" again (if it is a stereo volume / balance control) - or it may be only 2 states.

ecerfoglio said:
You may use an encoder with switch and 2 (or 3) leds to indicate the current state, each time you press the switch you toggle the encoder's function (and turn on/off the leds accordingly)

Eg: "Left" ==> "Right" ==> "Both" ==> "left" again (if it is a stereo volume / balance control) - or it may be only 2 states.

Clever solution :)

I was going to suggest something similar as I have used the encoders with built-in push button switch on the shaft in a few projects. They can make a simple, elegant, powerful user interface.

Push the switch (beep) to select a particular 'channel' indicated by smd LEDs. Rotate the encoder to make adjustments. Push the switch again (beep) to advance to the next channel, or, push (beep) and hold the switch for > 1 second (a 'long' push, 2 additional short beeps) to write the current channel settings to eeprom, etc. Lots of capabilities to explore.

Good luck with your project... Mike

maybe if you can't fint it at all, you can consider building it using 2 encoder disks, and 2 photo-couples.. no?

but noting that you want it on SMT side.. i think my idea is out of question.. however maybe it can help!

I can't clearly imagine why you absolutely need it to be on SMT side...? what is the global application?

Apparently, they do exist, in Digital Encoder form, and they are CRAP expensive (I've been told about US$80 each), which needless to say puts it out of the question. Unfortunately, I do not have a part number or reference for them at this stage...

I know dual pole rotary switches do exist, I'm looking currently to see whether I can't maybe use those in my project instead, I'm just not to sure what the implications AVR/PIC wise is going to be.

Basically, I have a counter displaying 4 digits on a 4 x 7Seg display. I want to have two knobs on the encoder/switch. Turning the outer knob will increase/decrease the counter in steps of 100, turning inner knob increase/decrease the counter in steps of 1...

Things like this is used frequently in radio equipment for example where a frequency gets changed in digital format. One knob changes the whole number, whilst another changes the decimal fraction... I guess in those type of situations they would also be using rotary switches instead of encoders, but the problem for me in using switches is figuring out which way the knob is turning....

The datasheet for a mechanical encoder with switch is attached , if it serves any purpose

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back