Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

room person counter help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use either CD4510 or 4516 UP/DOWN counters.

I think you need to get both signals cut at a particular time in either direction to perform an UP or DOWN count. So it depends on the distance between the two signals and of course the size of the person enters. Do not use a laser beam.

So it depends on the distance between the two signals and of course the size of the person enters.

Certainly, fat people can interrupt two light barriers simultaneously (when stopping at the barriers), but never starting simultaneously. Moreover they will interrupt one barrier first with the second to follow.

They must enter a room faster than the speed of light to achieve that. I've not experienced such a fast "Phung Plui" (Thai word for fat a..) till now. :D

Turnstiles are inconvenient and bulky, so they're mainly only useful in conjunction with card readers or similar devices, to keep out unwanted people.

Not really. They can and are often used for simply and accurately counting the number of people who entered and exited an area. When I was a kid going to watch baseball at the Astrodome in Houston, they would always put of the "turnstile" count on the scoreboard, which was the official attendance of the event. Of course, we would always applaud ourselves for supporting our team :)

Use this lift counter. It is an up/down counter:

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. They can and are often used for simply and accurately counting the number of people who entered and exited an area. When I was a kid going to watch baseball at the Astrodome in Houston, they would always put of the "turnstile" count on the scoreboard, which was the official attendance of the event. Of course, we would always applaud ourselves for supporting our team :)

I wonder if it'd be worth spending a while rapidly rotating one of the turnstiles backwards to see the look of confusion on everyone's faces when the attendance number is negative :D

People often spin their car's odometer backwards to show fewer miles, and thus sell it for more money. It shows that any system can be defeated if one is devious enough.

Indeed; though I believe the modern ones have features which prevent that being possible. Other hacks like that will always exist and continue to develop slightly faster than they can be foreseen and prevented though.

Last edited:
Need Help

Hello Everyone.

I am final year student at a local university here and am required to do a project as part of my assessment.

PROJECT DETAILS

i am required to do a room counter project. In here what is required is that the circuit should be able to count the number of people in the room and also display it.

I believe it needs a sensor circuit coz it needs to count the people entering the room and those exiting.I need help in what type of sensors to use and the counter circuits and the most important thing is that we have got to interface our ciruit with the LabVIEW Program.

Also we should develop the code or program for our ciruit using the LabVIEW software. So I need your input in the sensor types to be used for detection and if possible the electronic circuit together with the counter circuit diagram and the LabVIEW program.
Thanking you in advance.

Here is a person counter for a lift:
**broken link removed**

<snip: spam link deleted>

see left index:
Lift Counter

Attachments

• LiftCounterFinal.asm
    5.4 KB · Views: 232
  • LiftCounterFinal-asm.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 224
  • LiftCounterFinal-hex.txt
    604 bytes · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Collin55

Thankx heaps for that speedy reply.It has helped me a lot think and get me started.

One question. How do we get to purchase that PIC16F28 and what is the cost of getting one or can u just provide me with a rough quotation as to the cost of each of the components of this Lift counter.

Thank you.

I can also do your assignment for you, build the prototype, complete the thesis and hand it in. You don't have to anything.

This room counter project has to be interfaced to the LabVIEW program so that it can do the counting and can even control the amount of people in the room such that once it reaches full capacity, it gives an indication that it is so in conjunction with the display or protoype doing so.

The project needs to count and also indicate whether the person is entering or leaving.

Also, I need to know in detail the function of each of the components and the reason for using that particular component coz I need to do a presentation to the lecturers later.

Thanking you in advance for helping me out coz I do have limited knowledge as far as electronics is concerned coz this is a final year Physics project.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Look, I got my Masters in Electronics exactly the same way you are going.
I don't have a clue either about electronics. All I know is a circuit diagram has sqizzly things and some things have two wires and some have three and some black things have lots of pins.

Hey mate.
Sori if i mite have offended u in any manner. I rili nid help in this project and am grateful that u r helping me out hia.

but can be it be interfaced with LabVIEW program?

I cant spel ether but i realy donlt now wat u r talkng abut

The only thing that upsets me is your total lack of understanding of electronics and shocking speller.
Where do you expect to get in life if you don't teach yourself the basics?
You wonder why a University course does not entitle you to a job.
Most people will not employ a University graduate for the very reasons you exhibit.

Last edited:
Most people will not employ a University graduate for the very reasons you exhibit.

You're kidding, right? Where I work ( or did till I got laid off ) all the engineers were university graduates. In fact, that's how it's been in all the places I've worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back