Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rookie needs solar, battery, laptop and video charging advice for unsuported biketrip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, IMHO a better plan would be to carry like 2 extra sets of batts for everything, a 10-20AH sealed lead acid, and whatever solar panel you can fit. If you have a device that uses disposable batts, the "lithium" type of AA batts last about twice as long, maybe 3x even.

I'm figuring that with fairly limited use, you may not have to charge those batts much, and you might only end up using the sealed lead acid to charge only one of your items. Although it's kind of a bear when you do finally get a place to recharge because you'd probably only have 1 charger and 3 batts for each device. Again, a useful tactic here is the charger works far faster at first. So if you've got 2 batts and each needs 3 hrs to charge but you've only got an outlet for 2 hrs tops, then charge 1 for 1 hr and the second for 1 hr.

But whatever. See I'm just saying that limiting yourself to what you CAN manage would work. I mean, like, bring a camera and all the batts you can manage and hey, whatever happens, happens. Will you get 200 photos a day for weeks? Well, that's a lot of pics. 50 photos/day on average though is WAY WAY cooler than none. Most of those photos probably wouldn't get used anyways. Most of the time you know when you've got a good shot and taking a whole lot more photos is overkill where you're hoping for a slight chance that one will turn out to be a great shot. But if the overkill is that big of a deal then maybe just limit yourself to more high-value shots.

Well, IMHO a better plan would be to carry like 2 extra sets of batts for everything, a 10-20AH sealed lead acid, and whatever solar panel you can fit. If you have a device that uses disposable batts, the "lithium" type of AA batts last about twice as long, maybe 3x even.

I'm figuring that with fairly limited use, you may not have to charge those batts much, and you might only end up using the sealed lead acid to charge only one of your items. Although it's kind of a bear when you do finally get a place to recharge because you'd probably only have 1 charger and 3 batts for each device. Again, a useful tactic here is the charger works far faster at first. So if you've got 2 batts and each needs 3 hrs to charge but you've only got an outlet for 2 hrs tops, then charge 1 for 1 hr and the second for 1 hr.

But whatever. See I'm just saying that limiting yourself to what you CAN manage would work. I mean, like, bring a camera and all the batts you can manage and hey, whatever happens, happens. Will you get 200 photos a day for weeks? Well, that's a lot of pics. 50 photos/day on average though is WAY WAY cooler than none. Most of those photos probably wouldn't get used anyways. Most of the time you know when you've got a good shot and taking a whole lot more photos is overkill where you're hoping for a slight chance that one will turn out to be a great shot. But if the overkill is that big of a deal then maybe just limit yourself to more high-value shots.

I agree with most of that. Here's where I have a problem with just taking the camera though. I can't even get the $200 computer. Libraries and internet cafes don't hardly ever let you upload ANYTHING, trust me, I've tried all over the country. So what good will the pics do me? I can carry it around, but it''s just something else I have to protect. And for what? I can't upload pictures until I can get a computer. There's all sorts of limited options, but at this point, I don't think I will be able to buy a cup of coffee to get ac! Really. My finances for this have taken a big hit. My only concern is eating now. Making it there alive. I don't think I can afford to sit and hang out.

My situation has changed tremendously just since I started this thread. I'm hoping for a slight improvement, but really and truly, I think it's best for this trip, if I carry nothing extra besides pen and paper. Everything else is clothes food and water. I'm not going to have an mp3 even! So, yeah. And I just don't want to mess with it now. I don't want to half but this. When I can do it for real, I am gonna bust some cool stuff out. But now, this is about survival. Stuff to sell. Stuff to stay alive. Pen and paper. Bike. That's all folks!

(I may change my mind about the camera, I have a little while for my situation to evolve, but I think with out a computer, its a waste of time and just an extra risk.)

*By this fall, I should be in a lot better situation if I make it. And really, my whole mood and outlook will change once I can have 48 hours without non-stop subwoofer action. I've had a headache for about 2 years now. About the only time it goes away, is when I am out in the desert. Both places we have lived have been extremely loud. And even when I go to Austin's beautiful parks to try to escape it, all you hear are helicopters, sirens, stereos, and 2stroke yard tool engines whirling from 6 directions. I'm really not a happy camper right now if you can't tell, sorry.

Last edited:
This sounds weird. I thought you were going there to take pics of cool scorpions, and now you're going to go without a camera?

You were talking about 100+ pounds of payload, but now you won't take your camera?
A card of 20 AA alkaline batteries weighs about 1/2 a pound, and will do many days worth of photos before you use up all 20 batteries. And you say you can't "upload" photos, why not take a couple of 8 Gb memory sticks? They are pretty cheap and will hold many thousands of photos, even more if you delete the worst pics in the field and keep only the best.

Time to sit back and do a common-sense check here nomad.
:)

This sounds weird. I thought you were going there to take pics of cool scorpions, and now you're going to go without a camera?

You were talking about 100+ pounds of payload, but now you won't take your camera?
A card of 20 AA alkaline batteries weighs about 1/2 a pound, and will do many days worth of photos before you use up all 20 batteries. And you say you can't "upload" photos, why not take a couple of 8 Gb memory sticks? They are pretty cheap and will hold many thousands of photos, even more if you delete the worst pics in the field and keep only the best.

Time to sit back and do a common-sense check here nomad.
:)

No offense meant by this, but look in the mirror. :)

I will have over 100lbs of water more often than not. That doesn't include anything else. JUST H2O! It has nothing to do with weight, NOTHING, so move on from that, thanks.

The problem is that my money situation changed. I can't get a computer. And without a computer, memory sticks are worthless. I would have to wonder the streets begging for someone to let me spend hours uploading my pictures, and that doesn't include sizing them, naming them, et al. I can't do that at library or internet cafe, I won't have the money and they don't let you upload. So what, you want me to spend my time begging people to use their laptops? Would you let my bearded (smelly from riding for days), walk up to you, and you would give me your computer for 3 hours?? Would you do that? Without ever meeting me? No, you wouldn't. I'm not coming home to a computer dude. That bike is now my home. That's it. This is a trip., but it's also just my life now. Without a computer, memory sticks are worthless.

I think it's time for a common sense check here. I'm not looking for help anymore. It's over until I can get my finances in order. But I'm also dying. So that might not happen. Unless you have ever lived as a homeless person, and tried to upload hundreds or thousands of pictures without your own computer, or people that you knew, then cut out the bs. You have no right. My problems are probably beyond your abitlity to even understand my friend. So don't bother... r

*As far as me dying goes, I am unsure of my current medical status in a number of regards. I don't/won't go into details... But I've been really sick for years. I can't afford
the tests that I need to have done, and no one really gives a rats tail. There is a plant, when smoked, that provides immense relief, to the point where people can't even tell I'm sick. But unlike our guns and bombs and abusive jails that are 100% legal, the medicine that allows me to uncurl from the fetal position is illegal. I am hoping to get better access to my medicine when I get out of texas. (it's here, but could you afford $1000+/month for one prescription?

So, I am in bad shape. Again, I'm not going into details online. But I go from thinking I am going to die, to wishing I would. My main goal right now is to get somewhere where I can live, and not be screwed over my medicine needs, and not automatically become a criminal for it. Maybe when I get access to medication, I can work on getting a computer, and then try and give back. But without a computer, memory cards are dumb to carry.

Sorry if this message is a little harsh brother, but everyone thinks solutions are so easy, just get a memory card he says... , grrrr. Everyone is always full of advice. ugh

Last edited:
This all sounds rather overall to a unrealistic plan to me. You say your in bad overall health, have no money, and want to get some place else soon and cheap. But yet your planing an expensive high physical effort and long term trip carrying heavy loads through mountain passes on bike while flat broke and not eating. It sounds more like your getting in the dryer again and turning it up to high with hopes that no one finds you in time this time around. :(

If you honestly need to get someplace far a way for cheap take the train or a cross country buss.
If I recall correctly the last time I took the train I covered 1/4 of the continent in 12 hours. For around $75. I didn't eat or have anything but water from the rest room faucet.
You can take pictures from the observation car as well. Its heated and air conditioned as needed, the seats recline and you can get a bed if you want as well. Plus they do make stops to pick up and drop off people every hour or so and you can go out and use the vending machines for food if you dont like the prices of whats available on board. Or pack your own lunch and bring that with, its not like you are going to be there for all that long. ;)

Its just a thought. :)

Last edited:
This all sounds rather overall to a unrealistic plan to me. You say your in bad overall health, have no money, and want to get some place else soon and cheap. But yet your planing an expensive high physical effort and long term trip carrying heavy loads through mountain passes on bike while flat broke and not eating. It sounds more like your getting in the dryer again and turning it up to high with hopes that no one finds you in time this time around. :(

If you honestly need to get someplace far a way for cheap take the train or a cross country buss.
If I recall correctly the last time I took the train I covered 1/4 of the continent in 12 hours. For around $75. I didn't eat or have anything but water from the rest room faucet.
You can take pictures from the observation car as well. Its heated and air conditioned as needed, the seats recline and you can get a bed if you want as well. Plus they do make stops to pick up and drop off people every hour or so and you can go out and use the vending machines for food if you dont like the prices of whats available on board. Or pack your own lunch and bring that with, its not like you are going to be there for all that long. ;)

Its just a thought. :)

I've taken amtrak across the country. With the new security police state, I won't ride them anymore. I'm not getting searched by dudes in fatigues with german shepherds and swine flu,etc, etc. Plus, it's about $300 to cali now, and I can't take my bike, (it's an oversized bike).

And yes, I am to the point, where if this does kill me, I'm better off than I am now. That's sad, I know. But I'm between a rock and hard place in numerous ways. I'm in a psychological mind-screw right now that's brutal. But I'm stuck for a little while longer. Anyway, I don't want to die. But I don't want to live like I'm living anymore.

On top of the mind game stuff, It's extremely loud here in this city at least. Non-stop booming stereos, construction, sirens, planes, (I live on the edge of a ghetto, next to major ghetto thoroughfare, so I hear every big stereo system about rolling around this city.) SO, my head hurts about 24/7.. (I had bells palsy last year, and it really effected how base effects me. I can handle hours of it, but I have to have to have a break. I can't find a break from it here. So I want to get back out into the desert, where, for all the new problems I will have, I will at least have silence. I might just die of happiness after a couple days of it!

So I want/need to ride. I'll get by. I just can't afford electronics. I really wanted to make this trip about more than me fleeing noise and reaching a place that's humane to people like me with certain medical problems. It's going to be tough. I might not make it. But I sure as heck won't make it here. The cities too much anymore for me. Too many selfish pricks driving around acting like they are the only people that matter. I need the quiet.

But as rough as I have it right now, this could be what saves me. There's nothing like riding 60 miles a day to make you forget the little stuff. Yes, physically, this is going to be rough. I don't know how it's going to work.
My body isn't going to react well to not smoking. But I will be searched here and there by narrow minded bullies with way too much power and no consequenses to their actions, so I will ride without. Or walk. Or go lay in a canyon forever. But I'm not staying here. I need to have a some quiet for a while. I don't want to live in a rap concert anymore. :)

Btw, if I make it,... and can find a little work, and a little part of a forest or desert or whatever, that doesn't have subwoofers booming 24/7, I will recover. My body is sick, but even that might be fixed. But I will be happy again. I just need to get away from bass, and into the wild. I'll lighten up again. I'm generally happy no matter what situation I am in. But I'm not right now. I'm counting my straws on one hand. I need to ride. Whatever happens happens. I wish I could shoot photos on the way. But without a computer, its pointless. If I can get a little work, and get a computer, and I live to next year, I will do this then, I really want to. But I am unprepared and way under funded. So next year maybe....

btw, I have a lot to offer the world. I'm nice, fun, charismatic, and have a few talents to share too. I care about the world and all the species on it. I have found peace even on the street. I travel sober (minus medicine), but I eat well, don't drink or use drugs. I'm a progressive artist and hobby biologist who wants to give something back to the world. I want to leave something behind for everyone before I go. So I will work on a book first. Media will come later. I really have a lot to give, I hope I get a chance to give it! I'm good and well depressed right now, but I am a fighter. I've overcame worse. Don't worry about me. I just need to get my wheels spinning. Then I'll be fine again.

I will take sound systems and traffic off in the distance over hungry coyotes and other dessert critters 30 feet away in the middle of the night.
I have a few friends who work seasonally in the south west desert regions and they say they wont sleep outside there and they they are good old country boys who are not typically afraid of anything!:eek:

Day time is the peaceful time. Night time is when everything dangerous comes out and comes looking for you as I understand it. :(

I will take sound systems and traffic off in the distance over hungry coyotes and other dessert critters 30 feet away in the middle of the night.
I have a few friends who work seasonally in the south west desert regions and they say they wont sleep outside there and they they are good old country boys who are not typically afraid of anything!:eek:

Day time is the peaceful time. Night time is when everything dangerous comes out and comes looking for you as I understand it. :(

That's country boys. I'm a nomad. I talk to snakes and pick up scorpions and talk to them too. I've spent most of 18-28 years old sleeping outside. I've hunted scorpions in the deserts. Timber wolves and grizzlies (Photos only) to try to stop logging in the largest roadless area in the continental US. I've hearded 400+ Bison of ALL ages of one herd of the WILD yellowstone herd on cross country ski's and snow shoes to keep them from getting shot by government goons. Go ahead and try, they run 40+ mph and can flip an SUV over with one flick of the head. Now walk up 10ft away from a giant herd and tell them to move. Just try. Just kidding, they will probably kill you. But seriously though, if you have a little animal sense, and intuition, there is no wild that's scarier than the south side of chi-town, baltimore, east LA. I've been through a lot of hoods. I've never had any big problems. But there isn't squat for animals I'm worried about.

*Just remembered, I was hitching from San Fran down to LA back in the day, and ran into some elephant seals (100?) sunning on the beach just south of big sur, as the mountains become hills, and anyway, I ran down in the middle of them and started petting them. Animals don't scare me. They are predictable. There are things you can do, ways you can think and act, to make an attack of any kind extremely unlikely. And really, when it comes to my life, I'll tear a huge pack of coyotes up. Wolves too. But they don't mess with me anyway. I got the eye of the tiger and an ability to project it if you know what I mean. :)

Night's the best time outside in the wild. All the humans are scared and in their tents, or back in their hotels. I'll stay outside and howl with the wolves thank you very much. hehe

*I don't like parasitic animals. They freak me out a bit. Ticks stink, but that fish in the amazon, that swims up in you then blows up its spines. That is scary. Coyotes will scatter if you let out a roar that echos off the hills behind them. :)

Last edited:

I know from experience, that cops on power trips, or that are so simple minded that they think people who go to church are good, people who travel are bad, are a lot more dangerous to me than any animal I will see.
I don't know what you look like, and where you live, and how much money you have, but cops think travelers are scumbags. Doesn't matter what you do or say, doesn't matter that I'm nicer and safer than a majority of the town I'm riding through. Doesn't matter how honorable I am. I'll be a scumbag in half their eyes. The other half will be fine. But it's the half that's not, not the animals, that scare me. I can deal with hunger, but I hate getting woken up by a boot to the head and a 6AA maglight!

*just as a reference point for my fears of police, I had two vegas cops in front of the bellagio give me an hour to get out of town, or they were going to bury my behind the hotel because I was going to "vote democrat". I am not kidding. I've seen so much brutality from police over the years, all over the country, most the time for no reason. I've never seen an animal attack or bite a human that wasn't being a dumb but. And I've spent a LOT of time outside.

Last edited:
Are you IN Austin now? As cities go, it's pretty darn high on the "friendly" scale.

Yeah, I mean if your goal is to get to California, it'd sure be a lot simpler and far cheaper to bite the bullet and take a bus. I dunno because I can't really redefine your needs for you. All I could do is answer your questions on how to meet your electrical power needs.

But still have to point out that you're asking too much of your bike. And that was part of the task you outlined. Just like you can't get 20AH out of a 10AH battery, I try to suggest a solution that could be carried. As such the max I'd suggest would be about a 20AH lead acid or 40AH LiFePO4, if you had minimal other gear- but you have a lot of other gear that suggests the capacity is already far exceeded regardless of that.

I'm open-minded on the practical value of such a journey instead of the bus as being up to the journeyman. But the practical side of carrying it out seems like that, regardless of spirit, your bike can't carry so much equipment for that far, nor will you have a place to sleep. Those facts could come back to bite you when they might be avoidable if you had more of a plan.

I mean, I won't judge you for sleeping under an underpass or jumping the fence onto private property if you have no intent to cause harm. I'm saying that if you don't like the way cops treat you, you sure ain't gonna be fond of the meeting with the highway patrol when they spot you camping under that underpass. And that I recall stretches of a hundred miles where a) the side of the road is all fenced, and b) if you were to jump the fence and try to camp, you'd be visible from the road even if you were to trek a mile across there and thus probably get arrested. I dunno, maybe you could find a dry gulch periodically to bivouac in, and people are less visible at night, sure. I just recall the general lay of the land.

You see The Straight Story? old dude wanted to see his estranged, ill brother but his eyes were too bad to keep his driver's license, didn't like riding in other people's cars, and hated public transportation, so he went cross country on his riding lawnmower for weeks. True story, actually.

Not that it really matters, but Bell's palsy is a paralysis of nerves on one side the face. I don't see what is has to do with sound here. I'm certainly annoyed by people being dicks with loud stereos at night (or in the day) too, but I don't understand the Bell's palsy connection.

Last edited:
Are you IN Austin now? As cities go, it's pretty darn high on the "friendly" scale.

Yeah, I mean if your goal is to get to California, it'd sure be a lot simpler and far cheaper to bite the bullet and take a bus. I dunno because I can't really redefine your needs for you. All I could do is answer your questions on how to meet your electrical power needs.

But still have to point out that you're asking too much of your bike. And that was part of the task you outlined. Just like you can't get 20AH out of a 10AH battery, I try to suggest a solution that could be carried. As such the max I'd suggest would be about a 20AH lead acid or 40AH LiFePO4, if you had minimal other gear- but you have a lot of other gear that suggests the capacity is already far exceeded regardless of that.

I'm open-minded on the practical value of such a journey instead of the bus as being up to the journeyman. But the practical side of carrying it out seems like that, regardless of spirit, your bike can't carry so much equipment for that far, nor will you have a place to sleep. Those facts could come back to bite you when they might be avoidable if you had more of a plan.

I mean, I won't judge you for sleeping under an underpass or jumping the fence onto private property if you have no intent to cause harm. I'm saying that if you don't like the way cops treat you, you sure ain't gonna be fond of the meeting with the highway patrol when they spot you camping under that underpass. And that I recall stretches of a hundred miles where a) the side of the road is all fenced, and b) if you were to jump the fence and try to camp, you'd be visible from the road even if you were to trek a mile across there and thus probably get arrested. I dunno, maybe you could find a dry gulch periodically to bivouac in, and people are less visible at night, sure. I just recall the general lay of the land.

You see The Straight Story? old dude wanted to see his estranged, ill brother but his eyes were too bad to keep his driver's license, didn't like riding in other people's cars, and hated public transportation, so he went cross country on his riding lawnmower for weeks. True story, actually.

Not that it really matters, but Bell's palsy is a paralysis of nerves on one side the face. I don't see what is has to do with sound here. I'm certainly annoyed by people being dicks with loud stereos at night (or in the day) too, but I don't understand the Bell's palsy connection.

Austin is Friendly. But loud. I will find places to sleep, and I don't trespass. (maybe every blue moon by accident if unmarked) And the bike is a cargo bike! It's made to carry a lot! It's me, not the bike that might have issues!

As far as bells palsy goes, there are other effects besides the face. It makes a lot of people more sensitive to noise. It did me, and it hasn't gone away. But again, It's really loud where I live, most of the time, so maybe I'm not THAT sensitive, it's just really loud. But it's been worse since the bells. Read up about it though, that info isn't hard to find.

Yeah, well, I just want to ride across the deserts. All the major U.S. ones. I want to do it. I've done cars, trains, busses, hitching, and a little biking. But I want ride. I really do. I need it. It's been to long... :)

I am not trying to be rude but rather I am trying to give you a few pointers on how to not have the local cops pick you out of a crowd and work you over every time so take it as to be so.:)

It sounds like to me you need to learn to read the human animals and its territorial habits to the levels you did your other animals and critters. ;)
Knowing how the wild animals act is great! but then again the Bear whisperer guy thought he also knew who wild animals acted too! :eek:
If you document your trip well enough some day you may become a accidental celebrity like him if your animal intuitions go horribly wrong at some point as well. :rolleyes:

For your trip how you portray yourself is what will determine whether your seen as a weary traveler or a stray mangy mutt wondering through town. One gets food shelter and good conversation, the other gets the short a fast trip out of town on the end of a boot.:(

What you look like is your human uniform and has everything to do with the immediate perception of your social status. Long greasy hair, mangy beard, a general unwashed stink, and looking like you find your clothing while you are eating out of dumpsters does not sell a person as being a weary traveler.
So is how you interact with your surroundings. The guy who is friendly with the local animals is good but the guy who has in depth conversations with the local animals is bad. :(

You may honestly not care about your social status but then neither do most of the other people who end up representing the bottom of the bottom human trash status. Many are nice and good people but thats not how human society views them because of simple appearances and personal actions.
A persons overall physical health has nothing to do with it either. Steven Hawking is proof of that.
How you do carry yourself and how you do portray yourself will determine how your trip and overall experience goes from start to finish for good or bad. :)

I was in Las Vegas a few years ago and I saw a guy get the bum rush by the casino security in front of the Bilagio. (the big fountain casino) He probably was not doing anything wrong but he didn't carry himself like tourist but rather far more like a suspicious homeless nut.
Care to guess why they didn't want him there? Long greasy hair, mangy beard, a general unwashed stink, and he looked liked he found his clothing while eating out of a dumpster. Plus the talking to the street pigeons like they where people didn't help his case either!:(

Plus dont try and tell everyone that their way of life is bad and what not. We like our way of life plus we do have the correct appearances and resources to get the cops on our side in order to get someone we dont like for whatever petty reasons we have run out of town! After all we are the ones paying the taxes that ultimately pay his wages. ;)
Cater to their clueless whims and keep the negative view of how they live comments inside. Its the dirty little grease that keeps their wheels from running you over again and again. Plus it may just get you all the free power to charge your batteries you need, possibly a free meal and clean water, a safe place to camp for a while, and likely some much needed sympathy from the local authorities over all. ;)

All the batteries and electronics gear in the world wont keep them off your back if you just come off as suspicious and negative for what ever reason. :)

I am not trying to be rude but rather I am trying to give you a few pointers on how to not have the local cops pick you out of a crowd and work you over every time so take it as to be so.:)

It sounds like to me you need to learn to read the human animals and its territorial habits to the levels you did your other animals and critters. ;)
Knowing how the wild animals act is great! but then again the Bear whisperer guy thought he also knew who wild animals acted too! :eek:
If you document your trip well enough some day you may become a accidental celebrity like him if your animal intuitions go horribly wrong at some point as well. :rolleyes:

For your trip how you portray yourself is what will determine whether your seen as a weary traveler or a stray mangy mutt wondering through town. One gets food shelter and good conversation, the other gets the short a fast trip out of town on the end of a boot.:(

What you look like is your human uniform and has everything to do with the immediate perception of your social status. Long greasy hair, mangy beard, a general unwashed stink, and looking like you find your clothing while you are eating out of dumpsters does not sell a person as being a weary traveler.
So is how you interact with your surroundings. The guy who is friendly with the local animals is good but the guy who has in depth conversations with the local animals is bad. :(

You may honestly not care about your social status but then neither do most of the other people who end up representing the bottom of the bottom human trash status. Many are nice and good people but thats not how human society views them because of simple appearances and personal actions.
A persons overall physical health has nothing to do with it either. Steven Hawking is proof of that.
How you do carry yourself and how you do portray yourself will determine how your trip and overall experience goes from start to finish for good or bad. :)

I was in Las Vegas a few years ago and I saw a guy get the bum rush by the casino security in front of the Bilagio. (the big fountain casino) He probably was not doing anything wrong but he didn't carry himself like tourist but rather far more like a suspicious homeless nut.
Care to guess why they didn't want him there? Long greasy hair, mangy beard, a general unwashed stink, and he looked liked he found his clothing while eating out of a dumpster. Plus the talking to the street pigeons like they where people didn't help his case either!:(

Plus dont try and tell everyone that their way of life is bad and what not. We like our way of life plus we do have the correct appearances and resources to get the cops on our side in order to get someone we dont like for whatever petty reasons we have run out of town! After all we are the ones paying the taxes that ultimately pay his wages. ;)
Cater to their clueless whims and keep the negative view of how they live comments inside. Its the dirty little grease that keeps their wheels from running you over again and again. Plus it may just get you all the free power to charge your batteries you need, possibly a free meal and clean water, a safe place to camp for a while, and likely some much needed sympathy from the local authorities over all. ;)

All the batteries and electronics gear in the world wont keep them off your back if you just come off as suspicious and negative for what ever reason. :)

Why aren't we presumptive? LoL I look like a college kid with a beard most of the time. I stay as clean as you can traveling, and I don't have long drawn out conversations with arachnids, my point was, I am not scared of them. I interact with people just fine. I'm charismatic, and people generally like me when I don't have a traveling bag. Go through the same town a month later with a backpack or saddlebags, and I'm scum of the earth. There isn't anything I can do about that. I can't defeat ignorance everywhere I go! I stay clean. I interact with the communities I am in. In fact, I rarely spend time with other travelers or homeless. I hang with locals who are doing cool things. I pick up trash while I walk on the beach, then get kicked in the head at night on it. I have to carry some gear. If you have gear you are scum. Doesn't matter how you look, or how clean you are, ignorance is ignorance, and it's a plague of our country right now. Half the world thinks our country is full of morons, and guess what? THere are plenty out there. I know humans as well as I do animals, I just don't like them as much. :)

I'll put it too you like this. In Austin, a lot girls think I'm cute, they try to flirt et al. But I've had a girlfriend so I blow them off. But when I throw my traveling pack on to go do laundry, the same type girls who wanted my number earlier, cross the street so the don't have to get too close when I have my pack. Americans are ignorant about traveling. Europe celebrates the expansion of the mind. Our country likes sarah palin. ugh

OK guys this thread has turned out with not RE related so it's going to the ****-chat forum.

How about using a bike light generator mounted to your bike but have it charge batteries during the times when you are riding it. You can connect a charge regulator circuit to it to maintain a specific voltage if need be. Heck mount two of those generators... one to each wheel. The front wheel generator can be connected to an inverter whose output is connected to you. The resulting electrical shock will force you to pedal even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back