Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robert Shaw 9701i thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

john1929

I am new to the forum and was wondering if there is a way to replace the LCD screen on my thermostat. It works fine but I can't see the screen, might have got a spike or something.
Its a Robert Shaw 9701i CIMG0085.JPG

CIMG0083.JPG

Remove that ribbon connector, snap the clear plastic lens clips out and take a look at the back of the LCD and see if there's a number on the back.

?

I would suspect that Robert Shaw would send you a whole new thermostat if you sent them a email about the problems you are having, or maybe offer you a replacement at cost, that would be far far cheaper than buying a new one. I doubt that any display that they use would be a universal one that can be bought "off the shelf"...its probibly a highly specialized, one build just for that model unit, only available by them. Robert Shaw seems to be a pretty reputeable company.
Its funny how many companies will send you a replacement unit, if you simply just ask nicely.
A display on a cordless phone died prematurely larely, and I sent it back to the manufacturer. Lo and behold...2 weeks later I received a whole new unit in the mail...surprise...surprise.

I gotta say tho...u are smarter than 99% of the people that post here, adding nice clear pictures of the interior of the item that you are questioning.

RobertShaw thermostat

I called customer support and explained that the unit was only 17 months out of warranty and did not get anywhere with the young lady.
I could try again and maybe get someone more customer friendly.
If they still say no, I might just send it back anyway.
You don't ask, you don't get!
Thanks for the reply
leoj

It's rare that a bare LCD like the one in the picture will fail altogether, and it looks like there's no separate controller chip.

You haven't actually said that you tried new batteries or that you confirmed that the connections were clean. In addition, you should get a voltmeter and see that the battery voltage reaches the board. If you don't have a voltmeter, test the batteries in a flashlight or something.

My theory is that the thermostat itself is operated mostly from the transformer input and the battery is really only to run the display and to keep the clock functional when the power is out. That's how mine works.

Hones, I'm not trying to be flippant. Batteries really do cause problems like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back