Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rheostat vs. Potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalauzier

I used a rheostat in a recent project of mine, but I am not exactly sure what the difference is between a rheostat and a POT. I can feel a slight ticking as I turn the Rheostat, whereas the POT is smooth when turning. What is the difference?

A rheostat normally has windings of resistance wire wound around a core. Hence the slight ticking as the "brush" transverses the windings as you turn it. Much like a small version of a Variac in construction only using resistance wire instead of normal copper.

A POT normally has a continious smooth carbon track instead.

Hope that basically explains it

Cheers

Last edited:
the slight ticking you feel (and hear) is caused by the wires wound around a ceramic body with the wiper "scratching" over the windings.

Basically a rheostat and a potentiometer are the same with only one major difference: a rheostat (wire wound) can stand much higher power than a carbon film potentiometer which is normally rated 250mW.

Boncuk

Wiki says:

"A rheostat is a two-terminal variable resistor"

"A potentiometer (colloquially known as a "pot") is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider.[1] If only two terminals are used (one side and the wiper), it acts as a variable resistor or rheostat."

You see. This is what I was afraid of answering this basic question.

It can really get complicated if one really want's to delve into specifics.

Cheers

Thank you all, that has answered my question thoroughly, i am glad that I can find all the answers to my questions here

Last edited:
Glad you understand man. And thank's for reporting back.

Stay and learn more :D

Cheers

A rheostat is a simple, two terminal variable resistor.

A potentiometer is a three terminal variable resistor. There are two main terminals that, if measured, represent the maximum value of the resistor. The third (center) terminal is called the wiper. The wiper, when in the center position, splits the difference of the resistor with respect to each of the main terminals.

Potentiometers are used as voltage dividers and are much more common than rheostats.

A potentiometer can be used as a rheostat. One main terminal and the wiper terminal would be used.

I hope this helps.

video game accessories-NDS Accessories

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back